Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Card Issue

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
The issue I am having is that one of the computers in my house has just started acting funny. I have tried to ping it from another computer when I could not open the shared folder. The ping failed. I immediately feared Hardware problems and used Broadcoms diagnostics utility, one test failed. Does anyone know if this is a bad thing? How to fix it, can it be fixed. Attached image shows the test. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• broadcom_prob.jpg

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I've had a look at Broadcoms diagnostic info & according to that this is what the CPU test does :
test opens the cpu.bin file. If file exists & content is good then it loads code to the RX & TX cpu & verifies CPU execution.

Now I am guessing here but it seems possible that the problem may be with the cpu.bin file rather than the actual NIC hardware itself. I may of course be wrong. But in theory, one way of testing this would be to reinstall the Broadcom driver/software. You may want to try this first.

It could also mean that your NIC has died.

You said you tried to ping the laptop from another machine. Have you tried pinging out from the laptop instead?
You need to make sure that ping is not being blocked by any firewall first obviously.

Let me know how you get on

Edited by Samm, 28 May 2007 - 03:53 PM.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I tried to re-install the Network Card, and it didn't fix it. I tried to change the firewall on Norton 360 and it didn't work. I removed 360 and re-installed it and suddenly everything works! The test came back good, and I can get to the PC again. Talk about weird. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for 360 (Free from Work Program, it's legal) Seems to be full of bugs.

Thanks for all the help. :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome. Glad to hear it's all working now :whistling: