Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot access removable harddrive

• Please log in to reply

PaperAssassin

PaperAssassin

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi everyone, I have one of these MicroSD + adapter devices (it stores MP3's for my cell phone). Anyway, in the past all I had to do was basically plug it into a USB port and it automatically pops up in explorer as F: where I can access it like normal. However, today when I plugged it in, it shows up as G: and I cannot access it. When I double-click it asks me to "insert a disk into G:". Why is it doing this and what happened to F:? As far as I can see on explorer, F: is not assigned to anything else.

Advertisements

Ryujin

Ryujin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well let's eliminate the stupid questions first... :whistling:

1. Have you tried restarting and trying again?
2. Did you try reinstalling the driver for the device/memory card?

You haven't installed any new hardware that might have taken the drive letter?

Even if it came up as G: it should still read it. Only thing I can think of is that you may have connected it once before and maybe during the removal of the device something went wrong and as far as your computer knows the device is still connected. So now when you try to reconnect it, it's moving to the next drive letter, but get's confused that it's the same device. I would say do things I mentioned above, restart first, then try reinstalling the drivers. Also check the card in your phone and make sure it still works. It'd be annoying to try all that and to find out the card just went bad.
Hope this helps!