Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password denied in safe mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

NMG

NMG

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi everybody,

Yesterday evening, I asked my PC to boot in safe mode: I did it through msconfig, so that it will always boot in safe mode from then.

When the log window appears, it asks me for a username and a password: this is as in normal start up, OK. Note that there is no room for a domain name anymore.

When I enter my usual name and password, just impossible to log in!: it is asked to me to check the spelling of the name, the password,.. and the domain name..

My big problem here is that, because I'm not able to boot in normal mode anymore, I'm just unable to log in my computer at the moment!!! There must be a solution to this stupid problem!? Why is my password no accepted anymore? Why I'm not able to log in safe mode? How to make my computer start in normal mode again (at least, I could continue using it)?

I tried to log in safe mode with networking, which resulted in identical problem. If anyone of you has a solution, it is most than welcome..
Many thanks, nicolas

Note: I tried to start in safe mode because I wanted to run an antivirus to get rid of infostealer
Note: I'm running windows XP professionnal

to be more precise, I have two problems here:
1- how to log in in safe mode when my usual password is denied !? This would allow me tu run a safe mode session and do the necessary to get rid of a viral infection... I do not understand why this password is not effective: this is the one I'm using ten times a day in normal mode...

2-How to make my computer run in normal mode from safe mode when I can't open my session? Since I asked the computer to launch windows in safe mode through msconfig, it will not launch otherwise untill I redo msconfig to untick this option.. Since I cannot acces to my session because my password is denied, I cannot complete this... And I'm thus completely blocked at the moment, unable to use my computer. I tried to do F8 when the computer starts and ask it to run in normal mode instead of safe mode: this changes nothing: it will launch in safe mode anyway...

:-((

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi NMG. First thing when you set up xp did you set a pass word for safe mode?
If not try just hitting enter when login sceen comes up.
Now if that don't work, we here a G2G can't help you bypass any passwords.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight, 28 May 2007 - 10:50 AM.

NMG

NMG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Dwight, and thanks for your help,

"when you set up xp did you set a pass word for safe mode?":

I did not set up xp on this machine: it was trusted to the IT department of the university I was working for at the moment I purchased the PC. I had to use my personal computer on the University network.. Since then, I'm no more working at the university.

If you search my name (NMG) on this website, you will see that I posted a question in 2006 following a viral infection with Spysherrif. I have had exactly the same problem at that time because I had to run in safe mode. At that time, running in safe mode with networking had been a satisfying solution. I have not clue about why it is not working anymore??

"If not try just hitting enter when login sceen comes up"

Tried: doesn't help.

If any idea for my problem: most than welcome
There must be a solution for me either to enter the correct domain name for the computer to let me use my usual name, password, or to force the computer to launch a normal windows session so that I could turn safe mode off in the msconfig?

Many thanks for any valuable input,
Ncolas

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would need to ask the University IT department for help with this