Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection to router problem

• Please log in to reply

cgibb320

cgibb320

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello and good morning.

My laptop with Vista will not connect wirelessly to my Netgear DG834GT router despite showing excellent signal strentgth (at times). This last comment refers to the fact that sometimes the laptop won't even detect the network is even there but mostly it does.

The router is set up and connnected, via an ethernet cable, to my desktop PC which uses Windows XP.
The laptop wil connect ok as well by cable but not wirelessly.

I have ensured that the security settings on the router and laptop match,as near as possible...I say this because the options are not exactly the same on both and the "system" seems to acknowedge this as ok with a green X and also any other settings cause a message to state settings do not match as well as a red X. Additionally I have tried having "open" security and both firewalls disabled but still no luck.

I did get the connection once or twice but only when next to the router but now not even that.

Can't help feeling this is just one setting adrift somewhere and surprised that the Vista diagnostics couldn't idenify this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and please assume a very, very limited knowledge on my part.

Thanks in advance

cg

Advertisements