Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't reformat

• Please log in to reply

robotsy

robotsy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

Recently I decided to completely reformat my outdated acer laptop computer.

Unfortunately, I can't install Windows on it independantly because i lost the external CD/DVD drive that came with it.
However, when i swapped hard drives with another acer laptop and installed XP onto it (the other one has a CD/DVD drive), it installed but it won't run in its original environment.

So how exactly can i install XP on my completely reformatted computer (ie. has no drivers or progs) so that i can get it to work in the original environment, without getting a new CD/DVD drive (anyway, they don't exist anymore, 'cause the laptop is too old, none on eBay either)

Incidently, I have the system restore CD/s for both laptops and an OEM Microsoft XP Pro CD.

Thanks,

robotsy

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Can you give us some specs on your laptop, and what operating system was on it originally. Also, you can't use the same Product Key on two machines, microsoft will invalidate it if you do. If you have a high speed connection you can go

HERE

and install another operating system that is free. For most any usable operating system now you would want around 256mb of ram, 10gb hard drive and a 500mhz processor. But less can be used if need be.

robotsy

robotsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well it was:
Pentium M 1.4GHz
40GB HDD
256MB RAM
Win XP

Incidently, the computer came with its own CD key for Win XP so there would have been no errors with validation anyway. And yes, I do know about Linux (I use Unix at uni) but the programs I use are mostly Windows Compatible so I would prefer to have windows.

P.S. I also have a copy of the iso for PSLinuxOS in my house. Is that better than debian? Also, Is this topic even in the right place?

Edited by robotsy, 28 May 2007 - 05:52 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your system specs are plenty good for any of the systems mentioned, PCLinux probably isn't any "better" than Debian as far as usefullness is concerned but it is a lot easier to install and upgrade for the average user. The only advantage of Debian here is that it is a network install and you don't have the CD. You will have to have some kind of operating system than can access the internet. If you could borrow a CD, perhaps a USB one, you might be able to do an install of XP or PCLinux. The main difficulty is that it needs to be the boot device. What you're hoping to do will not be easy in any case.

There are other options here. You could image the install CD to a USB flash drive and possibly boot it, if you have a floppy you may need to make some kind of boot floppy if you machine won't natively boot from a USB drive of any sort.

robotsy

robotsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have installed PCLinuxOS (0.93a "Big Daddy" ed) onto the hard-drive of the Cd-driveless laptop by switching it with the hdd of the laptop that does have a CD-drive and using a copy of the CD I burnt of the .iso. All seems well...

However, whenever I turn on the Laptop #1 (CD-driveless) instead of going to the GUI it goes to a Unix terminal, how can i go back(?) to the GUI? I can use the terminal a bit, but I'm just more comfortable with the GUI.

Thanks again,
robotsy