Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem problems

• Please log in to reply

Joline

Joline

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, Please help a complete novice. I have a problem that I assume is with my modem. I connect via AOL dial-up and it connects fine at a normal speed. I then get to stay on for about 10 minutes before I hear a click, AOL says "good-bye" - twice! and an error message that the connection has been lost.

I have had this problem since I got the computer (a rebuild by my stepfather from various hardly use parts) about 6 months ago. I thought it was the phone extension cord or the modem connector cable but I have replaced both and the problem still happens.

I can't download and the connection always goes at the worst time...

Help!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Joline

First thing to try is this :
Open Internet Explorer (you do not need to actually connect to the Internet). On the Tools menu in IE, click on 'Internet Options'.
Click on the 'Connections' tab in Internet options. You should see a box called 'Dial up settings'. Click once on the AOL entry to select it. (If you have multiple AOL entries for any reason, select the one marked default).
Next click on the 'settings' button to the right
In the new window that opens, click on the 'Advanced' button (bottom right corner)
You should see 2 entries with checkboxes next to them. If either of the checkboxes are ticked, then clear them. Click OK to all the windows that you opened until you're back in Internet Explorer.
Close IE as well.

If you use AOL's own interface (browser) to surf the Internet, then the above steps may not make any difference. Best thing to do is just try it & see. If the problem persists, then try using IE instead of AOL's browser & see if that makes any difference.

There's a few other things which could be causing your problem but let me know how you get on with this first.

Joline

Joline

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, I gave it a try but no joy I am afraid. It was all set up as described anyway!

Thanks for the suggestion.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'll just add this about controller based modems and then get out of Samm's way.

I've got a friend who had all kinds of trouble with his AOL dialup connection. He was connecting at around 33kbps. (and I realize that is not a true speed). I took out his cheap win modem. And almost all of them have win modems. I installed a US Robotics controller based modem. His connect speed is almost always 45Kbps and he doesn't get knocked off as often.

If your only choice is dial-up, I would go with a controller based modem. There not cheap but you should get better performance.

The problem could also be with your phone lines or an outdoor junction 'block' that will pass voice but struggles with computer signals. Moisture sometimes works it's way into a junction block and causes trouble.

I will say that I don't like AOL at all. To many problems. If you can switch to another dialup service, I would do it.