Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address with wireless

• Please log in to reply

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a Lynkys 54G connected to my Dell Dimension. Everything works perfectly but having an aggravating problem. How do I find my actual IP address that is coming from my internet provider (optimum online). ipconfig just shows the router address both on my main computer (desktop) or from the laptop I use wirelessly. I've tried searching for programs that tell you what it is (ie. whatismyip.com) but do not trust the results. I'm not sure if it is the same everywhere, but my IP address at work or anyone else's I've checked it always starts with 9.XXX etc. These websites are giving me an address that starts with 24.24.XXXXX. I have a connection program to work and if I connect to that it will give me an IP address, but that is the address from work I believe. Just frustrating and I'm sure the solution is simple. If I wanted to use netmeeting or remote access etc, I wouldn't be able to unless I connected to work..which I don't want to do if I'm doing personal stuff at home. Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks!!!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Darrenkook
you have to open the router via your web browser and the info will be on a config page.
Your ip config will give you a gateway this is the number to open the router.
Cheers
Peterm

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Peterm!! I figured it was right in front of my face!!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Darren...for future reference...whatsmyip.com does give you your public ip address from your ISP....the IP address will always be different depending on where you're connecting from...your work IP will be a completely different number than one at home, or one at a hotel, or one at school, or anywhere else you connect to the network...that IP is a UNIQUE identifier for your connection. each ISP has a finite block of reserved IP adresses that they can use...so each ISP will have a different number set...

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you also...a lot of good info there..