Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building New Computer

• Please log in to reply

Colt450011

Colt450011

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
So I just graduated high school and I'm about to go to college and want to build a new computer, I'm thinking my budget is going to be somewhere between 1000 - 1500 bucks. What I'm gonna be using it for mainly is internet, music, movies, and gaming. The main game that i'll be playing on it is World of Warcraft. So thats about it but im kinda stuck, dont know where to start going about building it.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello,
If your building yourself please post a bunch of a hardware and I as well as others would be glade to critique it and give suggestions. It takes time to find thing all over the internet so for faster responces I recommend you do this yourself. Remember to post links to the hardware.
I'll give you the basics, you'll want a:
E6600
8800GTS (320mb version)
2GB of ram
320GB (320GB is the sweet spot right now) or more hard drive, must be SATA3.0GB/s
20x DVD drive
Vista 32bit
600W or more PSU (should have 35A or more on the 12V rails)
Pick a case you like
Do you plan on overclocking?
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 May 2007 - 06:19 PM.

Colt450011

Colt450011

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
well, i was planning on building my own, but after looking at some sites, www.ibuypower.com seemed like a nice site, i'm thinking about buying a pre-built

i cant decide if i want vista or xp, vista obviously takes more system resources to run etc, and is tehre a big difference between 32 and 64 bit?

and yes i plan on overclocking, and i hear AMD is better for that

Edited by Colt450011, 28 May 2007 - 06:25 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If your a gamer vista and you want DX10, unless you want to upgrade 2 months down the road and fork up another 150$. I strongly recommend 32bit, there isn't enough support for 64bit OS's at the moment.
James

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
be easy when buyinig it from an outside source- remember they have to make some money off of you so if you build it yourself you can save more money and put that towards parts- if you go with vista- remember that some of your apps may not work with it as compatability could be an issue (not as large as it once was- just always better to know before you buy)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Forgot to point this out to you. You couldn't be further from the truth, Intel's Core2duos are by far better over clockers.
James

Colt450011

Colt450011

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Forgot to point this out to you. You couldn't be further from the truth, Intel's Core2duos are by far better over clockers.
James

ok right on

Salku69

Salku69

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
here are other sites too if you want to shop around....

http://www.newegg.com

http://www.pcmall.com
its where i got my pc and hardware

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I actually found 54bit support pretty good it emulates 32bit just find and all the big companies have 64bit drivers now and the MS driver database is good, i started using 64bit when driver support was really bad in release candidate days, i just switched to 32 bit and i do miss 64 its faster, its more secure. 64bit vista IS vista 32 is some sort of vista xp hybrid and it shows. And vista takes more resources to run but its actually runs faster and more responsive.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes but as long as you don't get the OEM version of Vista, you can always get a 64bit disc mailed in. Also I thought there issues with gaming and 64bit due no little or no patches for game.
James

Edited by james_8970, 31 May 2007 - 12:42 PM.