Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Screen Appears

• Please log in to reply

icerider

icerider

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have Windows XP Professional, and when I boot up my computer, it reaches the loading page, and turns black afterwards. I can see my cursor and move it around, and I can also click the account, but all I see is black. The pointer does not blink. I tried a system restore and it worked for a while. I could see me login page and desktop. But after a few minutes, the whole screen turned black again and I could only see my pointer. So, I decided to try another system restore and my computer worked fine. However, I booted my computer today and the blank screen appeared again. I scanned my computer for viruses and it found anything, and I also cleaned out adware and spyware. I can go into safe mode. Any ideas? Thanks!

Edited by icerider, 28 May 2007 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Either re-install the video card software if you have the CD or look for updated drivers

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

icerider

icerider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
According to Everest, I have a ATI Radeon X600. I went to the ATI driver site and downloaded the Catalyst 7.4 Display Driver. However, an error shows saying it can't find the driver compatible for my hardware or my operating system. I ran the two in safe mode.

Edited by icerider, 28 May 2007 - 06:15 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download and save the 28.2 MB software suite to a folder you create, and run the installer

icerider

icerider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
The installer can extract the files and stuff, but when it goes on to actually installing the driver, it tells me it can't find a driver compatible with by hardware or operating system.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager

Click the + next to display adapters, is ATI and ATI Secondary there

icerider

icerider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It just says RADEON X600/X550 Series under Display adapters.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you right click the entries, (usually there is two), click remove, confirm and reboot the PC, then try the drivers

The software suite makes better use of the card

icerider

icerider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I can't find remove, there's only disable and uninstall, which one do I choose?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Uninstall, then confirm, then reboot

As the PC loads you may see new hardware found, click cancel if it wants to install anything, use the file you downloaded

icerider

icerider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It didn't work, the installer still says it can't find a driver compatible for the hardware or the operating system.