Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD driving me crazy

• Please log in to reply

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
This BSOD is really twisting my melon! I built a new pc about 4 weeks ago now and it hasn't been stable since.

Pentium D 915 2.8Ghz
Asus P5B-E (and now P5W DH)
2x 1GB Elpida DDR2 RAM
Asus x1650 graphics 512MB (now powercolor x1950 256MB)
2x WD2500YS AHCI mode
Coolermaster Extreme 650w PSU
Not Overclocked

I have tried clean installs of winxpsp2 and vista. I've swapped motherboards and graphics cards too. Interesting to note that the problem went away for about a week after i swapped out the graphics card, so i thought it might have been dodgy. But now the problem is back with avengence! :whistling: I have tried disabling most thnigs in the BIOS of both motherboards including sound and LAN. Have also tried giving the CPU and RAM a little more juice.

I have run memtestx86 all day without errors. I have run prim95 and 3dmark all day fine too. It's so random in that it will do it very often for a while, then will go away for a bit. Today I've had to have 3 go's at writing this new thread!

I will attach a couple of WinDBG analysis files. Let me know if anyone needs anything else? I'm hoping someone can get some idea of what these minidumps are telling me? To me they look kinda random. Although I have seen the win32k.sys one a few times I know - obvisouly these 4 dumps are 4 of about 60 that I have had in total I would guess.

Attached Files

Edited by liquidsmoke, 29 May 2007 - 10:53 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would suspect the psu. It might be somewhat under-rated or unstable. If you have an onboard video connection try to connect the monitor to it ansd see if it makes any difference. Also try to work without the second HD. If you have many usb devices disconnect as many as you can. I am trying to achieve two things: the first is to reduce load from the psu. The second is to disconnect devices which are not essential and could be the source of the problem without any connection to the core of the computer. If the computer stabilize we'll reconnect them one at a time.

Download Everst from my signature. Run Computer > Sensor. Wait few seconds until data shows and report temperatures and voltages.

Quote "Have also tried giving the CPU and RAM a little more juice". What do you mean by this?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
well he tried fruit punch but that didnt work...

XD

he most likely means that he boosted the voltages a bit

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I already have everest. I'll post the voltages in a sec. The PSU is 650w and a decent make so should be fine. i get a bit of voltage droop on the cpu, but these asus board are known for it. the vcore at the moment is 1.250v (set at 1.28v in the BIOS iirc).

By 'a little more juice'; no i didn't try and pour a Gin and OJ into the CDRW :whistling: I've tried upping the voltages of the CPU and RAM a little.
I bought the elpida ram from ebay (which doesn't fill me with confidence). Heres the link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e...p;rd=1&rd=1

SPD tells me it's 800mhz @1.8v and manufacturer 'A-Data'. But as the ebay listing says it will run at [email protected]. I have tried it at different voltages and it doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference. I am only running it at 800mhz atm too. Although i am waiting to get this system stable before running watercooling, hopefully at 1066mhz...

I will try using each RAM stick on thier own and see if that makes a difference. Maybe I was trusting memtest+86 too much?
I will also try disconnecting anything else, but i only have my mouse in the USB, and PS2 keyboard I think.

Edited by liquidsmoke, 29 May 2007 - 11:03 AM.

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
As a side note,
a) does anyone know where it gets the HD temps from - do they have a built in sensor?
b) how can i get the proper CPU temp - this board does not use die temp of the CPU, whereas the P5B-E I had before did??

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83627DHG (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type National LM63 (ATI-I2C 4Ch)
Motherboard Name Asus P5W DH
Chassis Intrusion Detected No

Temperatures:
Motherboard 33 C (91 F)
CPU 32 C (90 F)
GPU 31 C (88 F)
GPU Ambient 35 C (95 F)
WDC WD2500YS-01SHB1 42 C (108 F)
WDC WD2500YS-01SHB1 41 C (106 F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2464 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.25 V
+3.3 V 3.33 V
+5 V 5.12 V
+12 V 11.93 V
+5 V Standby 4.99 V
Debug Info F FF 89 FF FF FF
Debug Info T 33 32 50
Debug Info V 9C E2 D0 D0 BB C8 BA (03)

Edited by liquidsmoke, 29 May 2007 - 11:01 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Temperatures and voltages look good.

The idea of testing each memory module seperately is a good one. Have you checked what memory speeds the motherboard handle? Is it capable of handling these modules?

Set BIOS to default values. This will decrease speed but will help diagnosing.

The psu looks powerful enough but still, it can be faulty. I am not pushing you to spend money but if you can get another psu temporarilly this could help. Do you have a ups (un-interrupt power supply) system protecting your computer? If yes leave it aside and connect directly to the wall socket.

Have you installed all drivers related to this motherboard?

Please go to administrative tools in control panel, open event viewer and look for errors in all sections of the event viewer. Are there any that are related in time to the crashes? Are there any that repeat?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
After Looking at your logs I have determined the following information

You have received 4 BSOD according to the notes. (Thank you for running the debugger by the way it saves me time)

05-29-07-1
BSOD is a 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP with parameters of d, 0, 0, 0
The parameters tell me
0x0000000D €” An exception not covered by some other exception; a protection fault that pertains to access violations for applications
This Points to likely Malware.
05-29-07-2
BSOD of 0xA: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL The parameters do not mean much with this bug check code.
Probably caused by rdbss.sys
More info on this process is foundHERE This sounds like a buffer overload.
05-29-07-3
BSOD of 0xA: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL The parameters do not mean much with this bug check code.
Probably caused by ntkrnlmp.exe this is the windows Kernel
05-29-07-4
Probably caused by ntkrnlmp.exe this is the windows Kernel

In my experiences IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Rarely is a hardware issue.

According to microsoftHERE

Cause

This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.

The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS(ruled out with mainboard Swap).

If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a later version of Windows, this error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version.

However in your first one

0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
According to microsoft here

Cause

Bug check 0x7F usually occurs after the installation of faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or in the event that installed hardware fails.

A double fault can occur when the kernel stack overflows. This can happen if multiple drivers are attached to the same stack. For example, two file system filter drivers can be attached to the same stack and then the file system can recurse back in, overflowing the stack.

I would Like to add one likely cause to both. Malware more for example a type of malware that does a Buffer Overload.

Blue screen error messages Most Always have to do with memory you have already ran a RAM test. Try HDTune in my signature next. See if it turns up all Green. If so I would Recommend.

We now need to make certain that this issue is not malware because if we troubleshoot otherwise we may be wasting our time.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Instructions things to do before posting in the malware fourm.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

[edit]Just read this is a Newly Built System If you rule out hdd Malware(and faulty Drivers) you are left with the Processor. May I suggest Downloading Ultimate Boot CD in my signature it has a processor Burn in test you can run.

Edited by tuxmaster, 30 May 2007 - 02:27 AM.

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well. I took one of the ram sticks out yesterday morning and it has been stable all day yesterday.

I did noticed before I put the RAM into the motherboard in the first place that there were some nice sticky fingerprints on one of them (the one i took out as it happens). I took another look at it on it's contacts and sure enough there is one nice sticky fingerprint on some of them. It actually looks like thermal compound. I wasnt bothered before as I thought it would be just on the heat spreaders, but looks like some wally put a big print right on the contacts...I cleaned it off.

I then tested the other (possibly defective) ram stick on it's own. This crashed a lot in the first 10mins, then after a few restarts it calmed down a bit. So I figure it might be some randomness with the ram stick giving errors when cold - is that possible by any stretch of the imagination?

Today I started up the PC from cold boot with the aparently stable RAM stick. I plugged in my new logitech dinovo bluetooth mouse/kb and while i was fiddling around it gave me a bluescreen whilst sitting on the winxp login screen. Now this might be to do with the bluetooth install, but somehow i doubt it. I have attached the dump. Although no further BSOD in the last couple of hours.

I'm starting to think this RAM i bought from HK on ebay is some defective stuff - maybe returns. Anyone care to give suggestions of some good RAM. I want 1066 stuff. I have noticed some work at 2.1v, some 2.2 and some 2.3. I guess the 2.1v ones are the best ones....?

Attached Files

Edited by liquidsmoke, 31 May 2007 - 12:28 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Enter www.crucial.com internet site. Use their scanner to find out what memory modules will fit your computer. Crucial is a Micron company and they make very good memory chips.

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
http://www.priceguidenetwork.com

Ended up getting some pc2-8500 ballistix from there. It's half the price than in the UK! Don;t ask me why I didn't just get crucial in the first place. It's what I've always used before and never had a problem. Sigh...