Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File won't delete and vista thinks it doesn't exist!

• Please log in to reply

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have a file on my computer (i think it was a temp file from when i was downloading something but im not sure). The file is 0kb, it has no extension type, can't be deleted or moved and vista thinks it doesn't exist. If i try to delete it, it says:

"Could not find this item

This is no longer located in (location). Verify the item's location and try again."

Nothing i do can get rid of it. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Run your anti-virus program (if you haven't already). I don't know of a way to delete 0 Kb file

Also scan with the trial version of Spy Sweeper (look on the right side column)
Once you download it, update it, then scan.
http://www.webroot.c...s...af1&rc=3314

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I've already done that and i already have (and used since this problem) spy sweeper. I'm 99.9% certain it's not a virus thing, just Microsoft being Microsoft and making a product which lets me down yet again. Any other ideas anyone?

just to clarify, I've run cleaners that get rid of 0-byte files and everything but nothing has worked so far.

smmalis

smmalis

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Since it's not really doing anything (other than annoying you), why not just leave it there and ignore it?

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Well that's what I've done for months but like you say, it's REALLY annoying me!!! So, if there's a way, i want rid.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi hypnoticstate...

See if MoveOnBoot will get rid of it.

wannabe1

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I've already used a program that does the same (Dr. Delete). That didn't seem to work either, thanks anyway.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Have you tried to create a file of same name over top of this file, (replace it with real file) then delete?

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Good idea. I just tried but with no luck.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
You could not create the new file with same name? Or you couldn't delete it once you created it?

Is it read only? Or a system file?

Advertisements

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I created a new file with the same name. The file that can't be deleted is called "Heroes.". i tried naming a file the same as this but it would not let me place the "dot" after the name without a further extension. when i tried, windows simply removed the dot that i had written so that the new file was called "Heroes". So, because of this, i couldn't create a file to over-write the annoying one because windows won't let me put a dot in it without going on to put in an extension type.

smmalis

smmalis

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
If you have an ftp program you can create a file on a server, rename it to have no extension, then download it over the file that exists.

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Excellent idea. I'll try that later tonight after I've finished some college work.

zoolaman

zoolaman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
iv'e got the same problem on my Vista Ultimate. the file was on my desktop and it drivr me crazy.
finally i get rid of it through DOS.
go to "run" (windows button + R)
type: cmd and then click on ENTER
it'll open a DOS emulation window.
go to the folder that contain the file
Make sure you don't have any other files with the same extension as the file you want to delete.
type: del *.XXX (XXX = extension)
it will delete the file.
i found this question through Google when i tried to find solution to this very problem.
hope it will help to some1 with the same problem in future.

Quackers88

Quackers88

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I don't know whether it will work within a folder but it works with an undeletable desktop file. If you single click anywhere on the desktop (other than near an icon) then hit the F5 key the icon will disappear. In your case maybe try a single click somewhere within the folder then hit F5. Hope it works.