Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File won't delete and vista thinks it doesn't exist!

• Please log in to reply

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Give this a try first look at this

http://onecomputergu...htm#view_hidden

Then download this
EncryptOnaClick freeware

http://www.2brightsp...nclick/eoc.html

After you have installed it, then encrypt that file after you
have it done drag it to the recycle bin.

I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try.

Dwight

Advertisements

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

iv'e got the same problem on my Vista Ultimate. the file was on my desktop and it drivr me crazy.
finally i get rid of it through DOS.
go to "run" (windows button + R)
type: cmd and then click on ENTER
it'll open a DOS emulation window.
go to the folder that contain the file
Make sure you don't have any other files with the same extension as the file you want to delete.
type: del *.XXX (XXX = extension)
it will delete the file.
i found this question through Google when i tried to find solution to this very problem.
hope it will help to some1 with the same problem in future.

Well it may have been months ago that this was written but i just checked back here because after all these months i still had this problem. After not being able to delete this file for about 18-24 months.......THANK YOU!!!!!! This solution actually worked. The only difference i used was to type Heroes.* instead of *.XXX (since there was no extension).

Once again, thanks from the bottom of my CPU!

Angella

Angella

• Pip
  • 1 posts

iv'e got the same problem on my Vista Ultimate. the file was on my desktop and it drivr me crazy.
finally i get rid of it through DOS.
go to "run" (windows button + R)
type: cmd and then click on ENTER
it'll open a DOS emulation window.
go to the folder that contain the file
Make sure you don't have any other files with the same extension as the file you want to delete.
type: del *.XXX (XXX = extension)
it will delete the file.
i found this question through Google when i tried to find solution to this very problem.
hope it will help to some1 with the same problem in future.

I had this same problem and I wanted to let others know IT WORKED for me too.

At first I thought it wasn't working but I followed the initial posters solved post.

For me I went to the folder which happened to be located as something like C:\Users\Username\Downloads, I held Shift+Right Click and said to open the run command for that directory. The CMD prompt opened for that folder location. My file had lots of spaces and .torrent for the extension so my del commaned looked something like:
C:\Users\Username\Downloads>del "[stupidtorrentsite.net] - stupid0kbfile"*
^^^- that is the line that finally worked. Files with spaces need " " around them and the .torrent extension that was being displayed WAS NOT real since the file didn't exist. So I dropped the .torrent and instead just typed the file name, then OUTSIDE the last " I typed * (in place of the extension) and BOOM it worked!

finally... peace. for this great website!

Edited by Artellos, 23 November 2010 - 04:17 AM.
removed bad language

grey75

grey75

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This worked great for me. I had a file name with an unusual symbol so I simply removed everything from my download folder used *.* and now it's gone. I cannot thank you all enough for these great tips. :)