Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 Problem

• Please log in to reply

jankypr

jankypr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been struggling with this problem for a couple of weeks and have learned the specific cause of the problem. However, I haven’t been able to fix it…

I have a Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000. After I finished installing the Intellimouse and Intellitype software (6.1) on a fully updated HP 7248n Windows XP MCE 2005 machine the software recognized the keyboard and mouse without problems.
However, the svchost.exe process started causing the CPU to run at 100%. I have tracked down the problem to the Human Interface Device Access Service…if the service is disabled, the CPU runs normally again. However, this disables most multimedia buttons on the Keyboard. I have installed the same configuration on my Laptop and everything ran flawlessly. I have tried multiple other fixes (downloading the software from the Internet, using a different bluetooth dongle, repairing the service’s DLL files, etc.) but none of them have worked. Finally, decided to “format” (meaning using the crappy HP System Restore) the machine and removed all preinstalled software but when I install the hardware the problem returns. I am certain that the problem has to be related with something in the preinstalled configuration of the system.

Any suggestions on how to fix this will be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

jyshen

jyshen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you gotten any help on this? I have the very same issue with my HP Media Center and MWED 7000. In fact when I put the system on stand by - it wakes up automatically because of the very issue you are talking about. Further more, I find that I have to reconnect the keyboard and mouse almost each time I restart the computer. Really frustrating. Someone please help?

hasherati

hasherati

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Same problem here... HP box running Windows XP MCE and 100% CPU when the Microsoft wireless entertainment desktop 7000 is plugged in. This is a relatively new keyboard for MS but the first post for this issue was back in May and there is no fix yet? hmmm... I might be taking this back to the store and getting the Logitech.

Whirlwind

Whirlwind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi... I've just bought the exact same keyboard and mouse, and have the exact same problem with the exact same Media Center.

I can see, that the first post is from May 07. Is there anyone who has found a solution for this problem ???

.....or can anyone explain to me, how I disable the Human Interface Device Access Service ?? Then I can at least USE the keyboard and mouse.

Edited by Whirlwind, 30 January 2008 - 08:04 AM.

per f

per f

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:)

I have exactly the same problem on my MCE HTPC, and would be so happy for any hints!

(whirlwind - you shut down the Human Interface Device Access Service by stoping the service named 'HIDserv'.)

Per

Whirlwind

Whirlwind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Per

I've found out, that I don't have to shut down HIDser completely.

In Device Management I've stopped 3 of 8 (I think it is) Human Interface Devices, and that makes the CPU Usage drop to normal. At the moment I'm not home, so I can't tell you exactly which one it is. I've began shutting them all down, at then activating them again one at a time, and found out these three makes CPU Usage go berserk.

Now I can use my mouse and keyboard with no problem, and I've tested all the keys on both mouse and keyboard, and they all seems to work.

By the way... I've also contacted Microsoft regarding this problem, and at the moment I'm waiting for an answer.

Hope you can use this Per.

If you want to, I can drop a screendump with the devices deactivated i Device Management. :)

per f

per f

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Awsome, whirlwind - thanks; will be interesting to try when I get home!

Funny story; I tried something similar that was not so successful;
First I disabled the MS 7000-keybord and mouse in the device manager, whithout any effect. After that, using my older Microsoft IR-keybord, I tried disableing that one - same thing; no effect on CPU-usage. ..and then suddenly I realised I had turned of both my Keybords and mouses, and was left withort possibility to turn them on again, as I hade no other USB-mouse or desktop at home.. Silly! :)
Well I rebooted, and the IR-keybord was ok again, but it was a little funny for the moment!

Yes, a screendump would be nice of course, but anyway - thanks a lot!

Per

Edited by per f, 08 February 2008 - 03:08 AM.

Whirlwind

Whirlwind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:) Nice story Per. :) Now you can see how far you are willing to go, when hardware don't work :)

I will post a screendump here, when I get home :)

per f

per f

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hope you can use this Per.

Yes - seems to work for me to, thanks alot! :)
(Would be nice to know what we have turned of though..?)

Per

Whirlwind

Whirlwind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
That's great to hear Per.

Glad to help.

Then I will leave my screendump "at home" :)

Microsoft has just sent me an email, in which they ask some more questions about the problem, so they haven't forgot me :)

Advertisements

per f

per f

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Whirlwind, is your machine running stable after this?

Mine seems to be perfectly ok until I put it in sleep-mode for a while, when it 'wakes up' it is quite messed up again; lagging, dodgy sound etc. But maybe you dont runt XP MCE, and dont use sleep-mode at all?

No further notice from Microsoft I presume?

Per

Whirlwind

Whirlwind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Per

I actually use Windows MCE, but I don't use sleep mode at all. I will try to use sleep mode, to see, how my computer reacts when it "wakes up".

I've got a voicemail from Microsoft yesterday. They told me, that if I don't use the disabled HID's, I can just remove them from the list in Device Management. The HID's are created everytime you connect something to the USB-ports, and that's why there are so many of them.

I don't really know, why so many people have this problem when they connect the Wireless Entertainment Desktop. It can't be right, that the final solution is disabling and removing the HID's. MS have to find out WHY this is happening in the first place.

.......Whooops... I've just done what Microsoft told me to... I've removed the HID's from Device Management, and after restart my CPU usage goes nuts again.... So DON'T remove the HID's yet. I will report this to Microsoft at once.

per f

per f

• Pip
  • 7 posts

It can't be right, that the final solution is disabling and removing the HID's. MS have to find out WHY this is happening in the first place.

I guess the FINAL solution is to remowe Windows, and all Microsoft-related products from your home.. :)

Per

Whirlwind

Whirlwind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Ha ha ha... yeah, I think you've got a point.

Anyway... I wrote them earlier today explaining the problem with the removal of the HID's from Device Management, and this afternoon, I've got an emailanswer from them, where they're telling, that they doesn't have a solution for the problem at the moment, but my contactperson has forwarded my (our) problem to MS Consult Team (whatever that is !?!) The MS Consult Team has a 3 day response time, but they will try to find a solution faster :)

per f

per f

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hmm.. this is so weird!

To be sure its no software-conflict causing the problems I tried a clean, updated install of WinXP MCE 2005, but still - the second I install the bluetooth-thing in the USB-port the "HID Input Service" goes ballistic and uses 100% of the CPU! It doesnt matter if I install the Intellipoint/type software or not.

Allso, I tried it on my other desktop - on that one it seems to run fine!

Frustrating!

Whirlwind - no further notice from Microsoft?

Per