Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinMe only starts in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

jnak

jnak

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help me please. I have an old computer I bought when i first went to college in '01. It is Windows Millenium Me edition. When the computer starts, it shows WinMe loading and then i get nothing, just a black screen. I can start the computer in safe mode. I've tried to do system restore, that doesnt work, and tried to use the recover discs, but i get a cannot locate M:drive error. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Advertisements

sunmash

sunmash

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Do yourself a HUGE favor and replace the Windows Millenium with either Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows 2000 Professional. If you can upgrade to Windows XP, then go Windows XP.

Trust me on this one.

Nayfunx1991

Nayfunx1991

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Click on RUN. Typen in misconfig and OK. Click on general tab and see if normal startup is checked. or Reinstalling windows should solve the problem. You can directly reinstall windows without formatting so you won't lose your documents. Answer me back if that solves the problem!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One problem you have is that ME is no longer supported by Microsoft, so if you reinstall you won't be able to get any updates. From your description it sounds like your display adapter drivers are missing or corrupted, since they aren't used in safe mode that mode works. You can go into Hardware and uninstall the drivers in Safe Mode, then restart in Normal Mode and reinstall them. Not knowing what kind of machine you have or what model the display adapter is I can't give specific details or how to do it or where to get them.

Edited by Tyger, 12 October 2007 - 06:39 PM.