Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can pollen hurt my harddrive (and PC, in general)?

• Please log in to reply

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
The pollen count where I live is fairly high and since I've had my windows open a lot I've noticed that I'm finding pollen on counter tops and such in my house. Is it a serious threat to my computer (and specifically, my HD) that pollen could mess with the insides of my system???

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pollen (or dust) is not a direct threat to your hard drive...hard drives are hermetically sealed contraptions and in normal situations...no dust can enter them (this would be catastrophic if it happened)...

however....pollen or dust IS an indirect thread in that it can cause the cooling architecture of your system to change....if you're worried about pollen in your computer...get yourself a can of compressed air from your local computer store and open up your computer...then use that air to blow all the dust and pollen out of the PC...be sure to hold any fans inside the PC completely still when you're blowing air into the pc otherwise you could burn the bearings out in the fans

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Could checking my HD temperatures help me indicate whether or not cleaning the inside of my PC is neccessary?

I just checked my PC Wizard program and.....

my C: is averaging at about 102 degrees (fahrenheit) and my G: is averaging at about 123 degrees (fahrenheit). Is that abnormally hot?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's not abnormally hot (from my rusty F to C conversions) but it's generally a good idea to clean your case out regularly....if you've never done it since you bought the thing....clean it out...then do it every month or 2