Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing

• Please log in to reply

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi I recently posted on here about my computer restarting itself, I saw that it was running extremely hot (70-80C) so i bought a new processor which fixed the heat problem, now the highest it goes is about 61C. For a couple of days the computer was working perfectly fine, but now whenever i run games, (low end games from addictinggames.com, nothing like hl2 or FEAR) the entire computer freezes, i also noticed that it freezes right around 59C every time. Also the fan can't seem to get above 3000RPM to compensate for the heat. I am going to try to swap the video card with another one that i have, but other than that i'm not sure what else to do, anybody ever encountered the same thing or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Go into the bios & look for the temperature monitor. You should find somewhere in the bios, a section where the current CPU temperature is reported & also the CPU overheat threshold. I sounds like the threshold may be set to 60C, in which case increase it to 70C. This should stop the problem of it freezing at 59C.

Regard this as a temporary solution however. 60C is still rather hot for any cpu so you need to increase the cooling. What CPU do you have?
Do you have any case fans? If so, which direction are they blowing?
Is there room for any more case fans?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
different CPU's operate a different temperatures..exactly what CPU do you have..

EDIT sorry sam ..didn't see you already asked this..

Edited by happyrck, 29 May 2007 - 07:57 PM.

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi thanks for the reply. My CPU is a P4 3.0Ghz (socket 478 don't know if that matters). I currently have one fan for the CPU and one fan for the PSU. I'm pretty sure the fan is blowing air away from the CPU. I'm going to check the BIOS settings and see what i can do there.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that P4 3.0Ghz ..could be a northwood core or a prescot core...very different heat range...prescot runs way hotter..
go here and get CPU Z...after unzipping it...click on the cpuz.exe...get a screenshot of what it shows..post it back here..

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
its a prescott, sorry forgot to mention it. Also another thing is that when the computer starts up it hits about 61 max, so i don't think the computer shutting off has anything to do with the threshold. I'm going to get the screenshot now.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Happyrck is right - prescott's run at approximately the surface temperature of space shuttle's nose cone re-entering orbit.

Have you actually checked the overheat threshold for the cpu & if so, what is it?
Also, the cpu fan should be drawing air on to the cpu, not blowing it away.

Quick case study - friend of mine has a P4 Prescott 3GHz (approx) 478 skt. It's in a medium sized tower case with the stock heatsink/fan etc. It also has one of those plastic shrouds that creates a tunnel from the cpu fan to the side of the case (vented). About a month ago as the weather over here was improving a bit, his cpu temp was topping 90C. At 90C (which was the highest temp the overheating threshold could be set to) the machine let off a siren then shutdown. Even before reaching the threshold, which had been increased each time the siren went off until it hit it's limit of 90, the system would run slow, lock up etc etc. He's not a gamer & only uses his system for email & a bit of surfing.

When it reached a point where he could not use it for more than 30 mins at a time, he agreed to let me loose on it.
I used his original heatsink but cleaned off all traces of thermal compound & applied Arctic silver 5 in it's place. I changed the fan to an 3500rpm one with a 65cfm airflow rating. I kept the shroud (although had to take a dremmel & a hacksaw to it to make it fit the new fan) and installed 2 case fans with filters (8cm & 12cm) - one blowing air into case, the other blowing it out.
Since then, his cpu temp has not increased past 45C even after hours of use.
This just goes to show that even Prescotts can be made to run at sensible temperatures!