Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't access any web pages

• Please log in to reply

aliboy66

aliboy66

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi my sister got AOL she logs on OK but after 5 minutes she can't access any web pages just message saying can't find page.She got windows xp professional she had zone alarm put on i turned of zone alarm of but still no Web page.quiet a few people have access to her computer and she not got much security?not sure what next can you help :whistling:

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
The next time you cannot access webpages, try this (diagnostic only) go to start -> run type "cmd" (no quotes) then in the black screen (dos window) that comes up, type "ping yahoo.com" (no quotes) collect the results and post them with the results of an "ipcofig" (no quotes). to get the ipconfig, int he same window after you get the results of the ping, type ipconfig get those results also and post them).

This MAY give us a clue as to what's happening.

edited to fix typo

Edited by bobmad, 30 May 2007 - 08:10 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. First, I'd like to point out a little typo... In the CMD prompt, you need to type "ipconfig" without quotes, not "ipcongif". Just don't want you to try it and freak when you see an invalid command :whistling: Now, is this AOL Dial-Up? Broadband? Do you have a router installed?

If this is a broadband connection, try to reset your modem by unplugging it for at least 15 seconds, and then restoring power. After doing so, give it a few minutes to reconnect and pull itself together. The same goes if you have a router.

You said multiple people were on the machine? Any idea if they made changes? When did this all start?

Keep in touch :blink:

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Hi. First, I'd like to point out a little typo...

thanks Facedwon98 :whistling: needed the rescue. And yes rest router should have been 1st step. Got ahead of myself.

aliboy66 I'd still like to see the reply I asked for but follow facedown98's suggestion first. If that fixes it still give answer to my questions. (fix may not be permanent)

aliboy66

aliboy66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi just to let you know broadband and wired to modem bt 105. Problem is she don't live near so may be a while,but as soon as i do all the stuff i let you know.One thing I've notice is her modem is on top of her computer.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, keep in touch with us, and let us know if you have any questions.

aliboy66

aliboy66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi sister moaning no INTERNET so big brother had to go. Emotional Blackmail enough said.Her modem is internal.Went on net same problem after 5 minutes just get AOL home page nothing else tried INTERNET Explore not working,done all the things you said her are the results

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Seyfi Bey>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [66.94.234.13] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=166ms TTL=49
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=166ms TTL=49
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=167ms TTL=48
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=167ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 66.94.234.13:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 166ms, Maximum = 167ms, Average = 166ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Seyfi Bey>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.111.196
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter The Internet (1):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.202.44.70
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.202.44.70

C:\Documents and Settings\Seyfi Bey>

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
That ping reply means internet is connected and working. So it isn't a connection issue. Would need to be a settings issue.?.

Did she just switch to this internet connection from maybe a dial up? Ok here are some more questions did this ever work correctly?

I assume she's using the AOL browser... is that correct? Does IE ever work for internet?

aliboy66

aliboy66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi as far as know IE has never worked.AOL browsers some one put Windows xp prof and zone alarm. it was on windows tray its gone i looked at add and remove its not on there,when i looked at windows security its on there.she has put on lexmark x1100 scanner.When i was on INTERNET i got message from AOL response the service delayed and navigation to web page canceled.Did not think to try system restore? should i.She has always had broadband.The INTERNET has been working before no problems,and i have downloaded AD wear se personal. :whistling:

Edited by aliboy66, 01 June 2007 - 01:02 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are you using AOL as your ISP? Are you using broadband or dialup?

Your PPP IP address and gateway appear to be private IP's. I can't ping that gateway, so im pretty sure its an internal IP. Also, is this computer used strictly at home? Maybe your dialing into a VPN unknowningly from a computer that was used at a job, college, etc.

Also, I would disable Zonealarm if you havent done so already.

Edited by Cilix, 01 June 2007 - 03:26 PM.

aliboy66

aliboy66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi AOL isp and broadband.I've tried the INTERNET with zone alarm on and off and still the same..I got on to network connection noticed saying status AOL disconnected firewalled,then spent hours looking at all different settings could not get any wear, a message came up on windows tray local area connection network cable unplugged but looked all over nothing lose .Tried IE get a error message can not find file/c program%20/AOL%tool bar/welcome html make sure the path of INTERNET is correct.Whoever put zone alarm on has put it on widows registry.Don't know if this helps but i don't have a clue so back to you guys.thanks for your Patience. :whistling: :blink: ps computer just used at home. Tried system restore no good.

Edited by aliboy66, 03 June 2007 - 01:30 AM.