Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change port of OWA

• Please log in to reply

CompNetWeb

CompNetWeb

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have a slight problem with our small business network. We have two servers on a domain. Server A is a Outlook Server, and Server B is a webserver. The problem is this: both the webserver and OWA want to run on port 80. Is there a way to change the port usage setting in OWA to something else?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240753 <--give that a read

it's the same as changing the port of any other IIS website...

is there an issue with both being on port 80? i'm sure there is since you're asking..but i can't think of a terribly large one off hand...since the two servers surely have different IP's

CompNetWeb

CompNetWeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The reason I want to change the IP from port 80 on OWA is because I need to have it be accessible (pardon the bad spelling this morning) by the internet. The problem is that Both the Outlook Server and Web Server are behind a router and both want port 80 for their service. We run a company website on the webserver, but we'd like to be able to use OWA to check our inhouse email at home. I hope that makes some sense. If there's some other way I'm open to ideas. I just thought that changing the port was the easiest.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it is indeed the easiest....wasn't something that i thought of for some reason..haha...but yeah you're correct

CompNetWeb

CompNetWeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay I'll give this a try and let you know how things turned out. With any luck I'll be able to get the email working... after about a month of failed attempts. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
actually...i have another option if that doesn't work...it involves your Public DNS and private public IP addresses though...so if you don't have access to either of those then nevermind

CompNetWeb

CompNetWeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok well here's what happened. I set my godaddy domain to forward http://www.myemailsite.com to http://xx.xx.xx.xx:89 (IP Address on port 89). Then on the exchange box I set the default website, which has the OWA virtual site, to run on port 89. Finally, I set the router to route all traffic on port 89 to the exchange box's network IP.

When this is done, no website will show when I go to my email domain name, and when we try to view the OWA site from IIS and it won't load locally either.

So at this point what I thought to be the easiest path turns out to be a little more complicated than I thought. I'm not sure if I need a DNS server to process all port 80 traffic and forward it to the appropriate server and change the OWA port back to 80. If this is the case I'm out of luck because I don't know the first thing about setting up a DNS server. :whistling: :blink:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have static public ips? how many do you have if you do? describe your company's internet setup please

CompNetWeb

CompNetWeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Our internet setup is as follows:

We have a Business Class Time Warner Cable connection
After the modem comes a Cisco RV082 VPN Router (no VPN configured)
From the router it goes to a 24 Port 10/100 Switch
The servers are then connected to the switch

The servers are both on the same Domain: "CIS"

The webserver's name is "websrv1"
The exchange server's name is "exchangesrv1"

The servers have a static set IP address, not DHCP.

Local Network IP Addresses:
websrv1: 192.168.172.4
exchangesrv1: 192.168.172.4

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Let me know if you need any more information. I tried to give all relevant information on network setup.

CompNetWeb

CompNetWeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry, I posted all that and missed the first part of your question. We have one static public IP. As far as I know that's all we have since we only have one internet connection.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..i was actually hoping for your PUBLIC ip addresses for OUTSIDE of your network.....wondering if you've got a static IP there (or more hopefully multiple static ip's there...though i'm doubting that you've got that advantage)

basically what i'm driving at is based on my configuration

i've got a T1 connection, with this connection i have a block of PUBLIC ip's that i can use. after the supplied router from the ISP i've got a PIX firewall...i've got OWA and a couple of other publicly visible sites hosted inside the PIX....in the PIX firewall (for all intents and purposes it's a router in this situation)...i've got a NAT rule that translates my OWA server to one of my public ip addresses and another NAT rule that translates my other public site's server address to a public ip...then in my public DNS (with my ISP...this would be where you would make the settings at godaddy)....i've got an entry for my OWA server that translates www.myowaaddress.com/exchange to the public ip that i've chosen for owa...and for the website i've got a dns entry that does the same for that ip address...then of course there's the standard access rules in the firewall that specify the traffic allowed to either of these servers once the connection is made...but the NAT rules basically tell the router that anything for this public ip goes to this server and anything for the other one goes to the other server etc...

CompNetWeb

CompNetWeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So I should find out if there's a way to get an additional public IP with our present connection? I know upgrading to a T1 isn't exactly an option right now. Currently we do only have one public IP.

The setup that you have makes good sense to me but I'm guessing that with my current equipment and ISP limitations that the same idea won't exactly work for me. :whistling:

I will call Time Warner for sure and make sure there's no way to get another public IP without having to buy a whole other internet connection.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm thinking that with your particular setup...that the easiest way won't work...

when you changed the port in IIS....you weren't able to get to OWA internally right? did you just type in the web address? or did you try the ip and port? (i.e. http://192.168.172.4:85)

CompNetWeb

CompNetWeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I tried getting to OWA the following ways:

through the forwarded domain.com:port
Publib IP Address:port
Tried previewing it locally on the exchange server in the IIS control

No matter what it would not run unless it was on port 80.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...we might be moving past my scope..i'm not good with IIS at all...was hoping to get a decent network sollution here...let me see if someone else can give us a hand