Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

internet explorer

• Please log in to reply

maggsie

maggsie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Can anyone help with this minor problem that is really bugging me?

When i finish a session on the net i always delete my history, but lately, no matter what i do,
it won't delete,any ideas from anyone?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Even if you are not worried about privacy on your computer, you may be surprised to realize how much hard drive space all this information takes up. If you are running out of drive space, you may want to delete these files.

For Internet Explorer 5 and above, you can follow these directions to clear out temporary files and delete cookies.

1) Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools
2) Click on Internet Options
3) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
4) You may also want to check the box "Delete all offline content"
5) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the temporary internet files
6) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.

To clear the Internet History in IE:

1) Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools
2) Click on Internet Options
3) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Clear History
4) Click OK

To clean up other temporary files on your computer in Windows 98 or higher:

1) Click Start, Programs (or All Programs), Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup
2) Choose the correct drive usually C:\
3) Check the boxes in the list and delete the files

if you really want to clear everything including the index.dat files that keep a record of every site you ever visited get ccleaner here...get the slim version...click on ccleaner icon...then click on ..run cleaner..take note of how many Megabytes it get rid of..

Edited by happyrck, 29 May 2007 - 06:39 PM.

maggsie

maggsie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanx happyrck, i've already tried all those options but the list of sites still stays on the history page.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you get and use ccleaner...