Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer wont startup, i suspect its hadware

• Please log in to reply

ScottMichael

ScottMichael

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I picked up an old comp off a friend and it broke it has XP Professional on it. Granted, I did a lot of stupid things with it first… so here is what I did:
-I loaded a cheep-o man bios (it’s a K7S5A)
-I over clocked it as high as it could go, and still start up... but kept a watch on the temps after running for a while, and they were fine.
-I put in new 2 new sticks of ram
-I loaded a custom XP theme pack

Now after all this it worked fir a while, then one day it would start up say system memory amount has changed, then proceeds, at the windows startup screen the progress bar goes by twice then the screen goes black…. So the first thing I did was change the CMOS battery because the computer had been sitting for quite some time. Then I tried to load Linux (slackware) (the OS I was going to switch to) everything was going fine when I was choosing installation type and everything, but when it starting loading off the CD it gives an error. I assume this error was because of the hardware not the Linux cd… and I don’t have the XP professional disk the guy I got the comp from never gave it to me… I also don’t care if I loose the info on the hard drive.

Is this a hardware problem or XP? Or how do i fix this?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try puppy linux...will work with 128 but will run fast with 256M RAM...it runs totally in RAm..if it won't load..its the cpu...or ram..or hard drive...(it writes a small swap file there)I tried to load it once with no hard drive attached..no go...

get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

ScottMichael

ScottMichael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks so much for the help, but as it turns out im an idiot. Turns out windows was not working, but after I fromatted the hardrive compleatly the linux loads just fine.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
glad you let me know...thanks.... :whistling: