Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major computer problem

• Please log in to reply

nikki05

nikki05

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am back for the second time with a question. :whistling: ok. I have all the sims 2 games on the computer, but when I put seasons on there, after a week or so, I started getting these horizontal blurry lines on the computer. It looked like the game had gotten stuck and somebody grabbed the top of the screen and kept moving it around. That happened only when the sims 2 seasons cd was in the cd-drive. After that happened, it would get stuck like that so I had to manually push the button and hold it until the computer went off. I tried to turn the computer back on and it would do the very first startup part (the actual computer makes the noise like the fan is on), but it wouldn't do anything after that.

It's not the screen because after unplugging the screen from the computer, a message popped up. We also tried using another monitor and the computer part did the same thing. So we've found out it was the computer. Is the hard drive the problem?? Is there a way we can fix it or do we just have to take it up to Circuit City and let them fix it??

Thanks for all the help I get. :blink:

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
nikki sorry for the delay in responding. let me ask this... would you please share with us the contents of the message that poped up? just as a starting place for possible help? :whistling:

Edited by krmooo, 30 May 2007 - 09:07 AM.

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

nikki sorry for the delay in responding. let me ask this... would you please share with us the contents of the message that poped up? just as a starting place for possible help? :whistling:

That's the thing, there is no message. I turn on the computer, I hear the fans, and that's it. The fan keeps going and going but nothing else happens.

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
That's the thing, there is no message. I turn on the computer, I hear the fans, and that's it. The fan keeps going and going but nothing else happens.
[/quote]

Also, the keyboard won't even light up. I have unplugged everything but the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. The cd-drive still open and close, but you can't hear it spin like it normally does when it normally starts up, and las but not least, I tried putting the recovery cd in the cd drive but nothing would happen. :whistling:

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
sorry i must have misread. are you saying theres no harddrive activity whatsoever just spinning fans? does your cd work?lights flash an such? do you know how to enter your bios settings? if so,is your pc seeing your hard drive? does your pc run a post test lots of numbers flashing by an stuff? with the logo of the computer make eg..dell, compaq ?... if you have another graphics card try it

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

sorry i must have misread. are you saying theres no harddrive activity whatsoever just spinning fans? does your cd work?lights flash an such? do you know how to enter your bios settings? if so,is your pc seeing your hard drive? does your pc run a post test lots of numbers flashing by an stuff? with the logo of the computer make eg..dell, compaq ?... if you have another graphics card try it

Correct. I press the button and then the fans starts to spin nonstop, nothing else happens. The cd rom thingy can open and close, but when i tried putting the recovery cd in, it wouldn't even spin. It just sat there. When I first turn it on, you can see the little yellow light but then it goes clear and it's back to just the fans spinning. I wish I could learn the bios settings, etc., but I don't know about all of that yet. Sorry :whistling: It's an emachine computer, T6216, AMD Athlon 64, Processor 3200+, 2.0 GHz, 2000 MHz FSB, 512 KB L2 Cache, Hard Drive 160 GB ATA Hard Drive, Memory, 512 MB DDR SDRAM Dual Channel, Modem 56 K ITU V.92 Ready Fax/Modem, Video nVIDIA GeForce 6100, PCI-Express Slot Available are the main things on the sticker on the computer. Hopes it help.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
thats ok thanks for the info you gave :whistling: i was curious as to what your bios was listing.oh and very impressive hardware :blink: normally by pressing f2, or f10, delete, depending on who made the computer that will get you into the computer's bios. let me suggest this. have you ever replaced a graphics card? heres why im asking.i might get in trouble for suggesting this but i feel its the best solution. we can post back an forth in here all day with us here explaining what to trouble shoot and quite possibly you being not that tech savy and end up taking you pc in a half a dozen different pieces to circuit city. \take it there now because this issue could be anything from a power supply issue to burnt out circuits to graphic cards. what i suggest to do iis take it to circuit city... now... but hey. if you want to get real hands on grab a screwdriver unplug the power cord an lets get busy

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

thats ok thanks for the info you gave :whistling: i was curious as to what your bios was listing.oh and very impressive hardware :blink: normally by pressing f2, or f10, delete, depending on who made the computer that will get you into the computer's bios. let me suggest this. have you ever replaced a graphics card? heres why im asking.i might get in trouble for suggesting this but i feel its the best solution. we can post back an forth in here all day with us here explaining what to trouble shoot and quite possibly you being not that tech savy and end up taking you pc in a half a dozen different pieces to circuit city. \take it there now because this issue could be anything from a power supply issue to burnt out circuits to graphic cards. what i suggest to do iis take it to circuit city... now... but hey. if you want to get real hands on grab a screwdriver unplug the power cord an lets get busy

Thanks so much for your help!! I will try those buttons to see if it will work! :help:

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I suspect this to be video card failure.

First, disconnect anything non-essential besides the monitor and keyboard which you stated that you have already done.
When you press the power button, does your computer monitor kick out of standby (yellow light on the monitor) to green?
Are there any beeps when you turn the PC on?

Since you have a PCI-Express Nvidia 6100 (according to eMachines site), reseating the card may solve the issue.

Edited by Cilix, 30 May 2007 - 01:35 PM.

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I suspect this to be video card failure.

First, disconnect anything non-essential besides the monitor and keyboard which you stated that you have already done.
When you press the power button, does your computer monitor kick out of standby (yellow light on the monitor) to green?
Are there any beeps when you turn the PC on?

Since you have a PCI-Express Nvidia 6100, reseating the card may solve the issue.

When I press the power button, the light on the monitor stays yellow. There's not as many beeps as it would be if it was running normally, it's only between 1-2 beeps, then it's just the fan continually spinning, making that noise.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
How many beeps do you hear when it normally boots and how many do you hear now?

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

How many beeps do you hear when it normally boots and how many do you hear now?

Normally i would hear about 4 beeps, then it would make a click sound, then the screen would come on. Now it's only about 2 beeps, not as loud, and the screen doesn't come on, nor can you hear the cd drive spinning. You turn it on, and onlyhear the fans start up, the 2 beeps and that's it. The fan keeps going and going.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I apologize, I looked up the 6212 versus the 6216. You have an integrated graphics chip. My suggestion would be to goto your local electronics store and pick up the cheapest PCI Express video card and put it into the available slot on your board. Then plug your monitor into that card and see if you get video. It will probably be black in color, the skinniest slot, and closest to the processor. If you need assistance in doing this, please feel free to ask. I am going to locate a product manual for your machine so i can give you a picture diagram of exactly where it is.

Edited by Cilix, 30 May 2007 - 01:59 PM.

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you all ! :blink: I have found out that the whole motherboard was blown. I was able to get it fixed and keep all documents on it. Also I had put a new video card inside. :whistling: Problem Solved!

Edited by nikki05, 31 May 2007 - 03:42 PM.