Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CSS div problem in IE

• Please log in to reply

Liadan

Liadan

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay, I just made my very first cascading style sheet, and it looks exactly like I want it to look... in Firefox. I have a header div, left div (for navigating the site), middle (content) div, and footer div. When I viewed it in Explorer, the text that is supposed to be in the left-hand div has jumped over to the main content div. I don't know if I'm making any sense whatsoever, but I hope so. :whistling:

I know there are lots of bugs in IE, but is this one of them, or does it sound more like I've made a mistake?
Please help. Thanks!!

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
try making a parent div that is above all of the other divs then setting margin:0

Liadan

Liadan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

When I did what you suggested, it corrected something else! :whistling:
It didn't correct the stuff jumping over to the other div, but as I was playing around, trying out different things, something worked by accident. I added "float: right" to the content div (the div beside it), and that made the words that were jumping over to stay in their place. I have no idea why. There's so much to learn, it's overwhelming.

Thanks for your help (because your suggestion corrected something that was bugging me anyway).

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You might like to bookmark a few sites like this one
http://www.positioni...t/explorer.html

It helps to know the bugs and how to fix them.

Liadan

Liadan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Actually, I didn't correct anything when I added "float: right" to the content div. I only caused the footer to jump up, and I didn't realize it until I colored the footer's background.

I've tried several different things. I can either have it looking perfect in Firefox or perfect in IE, but not both at the same time. The problem I have now is that in IE, a picture I have in the content area disappears. It has something to do with the fact that my pictures in the content div are floated left of the text. When I undo the float left of the picture, it doesn't disappear. But, I want it to float left of the text. In Firefox, it's fine. If only everyone would use Firefox. Sigh. I looked at the position is everything site and can't find anything related to that (or maybe I'm missing it).

Thanks for listening.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
can you please give a link to the page?

When you float something, and don't clear the float (clear:both) on some element after it, the ellement that it is in will have a height of 0

Liadan

Liadan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
At the moment, it isn't uploaded, but I will. Will let you know when it's done.

Liadan

Liadan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay, I'm unveiling my "baby", for what it's worth, LOL.
I'm an elementary teacher and that's what the site is about, btw. I'm aware that the colors are hideous, but I did that temporarily so I could tell what's what.
I don't have a "clear: both" anywhere, so that's probably the problem. Where would I put that?
Any other suggestions, criticisms, etc are welcome.

Thanks again!

Edited by Liadan, 01 June 2007 - 08:10 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The yellow is bad, but I think every thing else justs looks "kiddy"

It looks the same to me in Firefox 2, IE 6 and Opera 9

You might like this extension for making dummy text http://sogame.awards...DummyLipsum.xpi

Liadan

Liadan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I was viewing it in IE7.
LOL, it's supposed to look "kiddy". My site visitors are 4-year-olds and teachers of 4-year-olds.
Thanks anyway.