Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply

unknown error

unknown error

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well acouple of days ago I reinstalled windows xp on my new computer I built not too long ago. I've been playing games on it with no problems but today when I came to boot it, it starts up and begins to load windows. Then after about 10 secs on the windows loading screen I get a blue screen that pops up and gives me an error. I tried to read it but it makes my computer restart so fast I cant get the details. Im pretty sure it says Machine_Check_Exception or somthing. After it restarts It allows me to choose some options: Safe mode, safe mode w/networking, safe mode w/command prompt, start normally, and last known good configuration. I tried to start it normally and last good a few times and got the same error. Here are my specs:
Case: Thermaltake VA3000 Dream Tower Black VA3000BWA ATX Case with Transparent X type side panel window

CD/Drive: Sony Internal 16X DVD+/-RW / Double Layer Drive Black, Model DW-D22A-B2, OEM

Heatsink: Thermaltake SILENT BOOST For AMD Opteron and Athlon 64 (All Copper)

HD's (2): Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1600JD

Memory (2): Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

Motherboard: Abit "FATAL1TY AN8" nForce4 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU

Power Supply: Thermaltake W0014 Silent Purepower 480W with Black housing - Xaser Edition ATX 2-Fan Power Supply

Processor:AMD Athlon 64 3800+, Socket 939, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0350" -RETAIL

Video Card: SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON X850 XT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "100106"

Not sure if reinstalling windows had anything to do with it but I did do it. Also, I used to get this screen every few days when I boot it back up but it would let me move on and let windows start normally. Anyone Help?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start in save mode if you can

right click MY COMPTUER, choose PROPERTIES, chooes ADVANCED, choose START UP AND RECOVERY settings button, uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART.

Reboot.

Now you will get the BSOD error in all it's glory.

report back

unknown error

unknown error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for your quick reply!

I went in safe mode, did what you said, restarted and it worked. Very odd. If it happens again I will reply to this topic or make a new one and tell you it. Thanks again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You can also check the BSOD (possible) by looking at event viewer

start > run
eventvwr.msc
look at SYSTEM at the time it occured.

If windows kernal had loaded, it would trap the error and record it there

unknown error

unknown error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I found a ton:

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}
-got that twice

The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
-got that about 6 times

The Workstation service terminated with service-specific error 2250 (0x8CA).
-twice

Could not load Rdbss device driver.
-twice

The Workstation service terminated with service-specific error 2250 (0x8CA).

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
-disk error [alot]

DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
-3 times

They happend alot because I tried to restart. Any suggestions?