Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home error when booting

• Please log in to reply

des1o

des1o

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Geeks to Go!

I'm having a boot problem with XP Home. Here is the error message.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.

Do you know what is wrong? Is all I need is to repair the file? or Repair XP Home?

I have a cd that is labeled
"Reinstallation CD
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
Is this the CD-ROM that I need to use? I think I read that my data isn't lost. Is it? I hope not.

I have run diagnostics and found the following fails:

**IDE Disk S/N = MRG2E4KBCLGT4P - Read Test**
Test Results: Fail
Error Code 0F00: 0244
Msg: Block 44 544 013: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

then same message with different error code which was: 0F00:1A44

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-des1o

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi des1o!

Ususally the "Missing or Corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" message indicates a corrupted registry. There are several things to try, and I suppose it depends on how comfortable you are with the instructions and whether there is data on the computer you need to save. And yes, the Reinstallation CD you have is the one you need.

First, try to Repair Windows. See this G2G Guide for more information.

*** Be aware, repairing Windows does not cause you to lose any data or files, but you will have to reinstall other software you had installed, as well as device drivers and all the Windows hotfixes and updates that you've installed since you put the computer intos service.

To repair Windows, put the Windows CD in your CD drive. Power the computer down, then power it back on.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you don't get this message the first time, reboot and press F12 for the boot menu when the Windows splash screen first appears.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER....

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.....

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.....

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP......

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.....

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.....

Again, you will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates. You may have to reinstall other software you had installed.

Second, see MS Article 307545 for detailed instructions on replacing the registry. This process is fairly involved, but should get your computer running if the Repair Install doesn't work.

Third, do a Parallel Installation of Windows. This process a temporary fix - it installs Windows into a different folder and gives you the opportunity to get the machine running and make backups of all your files. The following instructions are courtesy of wannabe1.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

If you have to do the Parallel installation, once you get all your data backed up, I'd suggest formatting the hard drive and installing Windows fresh.

Good luck! Please post the results.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
In addition there is also this meathod for recovering regestry from snapshot.

des1o

des1o

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I got to the screen called Windows XP Home Edition Setup. I try to press R and nothing happens. Am I at the right screen?
There are three partions listed. I know which one is mine.

It is:

C: Partition2 (NTFS) 28592 MB (16279 MB free)

There is no "Windows XP Home Edition" to be selected like is in the screen on the G2G Guide.

I don't see an option to repair Windows in this screen.

I'm going to leave it on this screen until I get further instructions, I don't want to ruin anything!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi des1o.

So you're trying to do the Repair Install? You get past the License screen to the screen that should say "To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R". But your installation isn't listed? And pressing R doesn't do anything? Is that correct? Look at the link to the G2g Guide for screen shots of the different screens. Do you get to a screen like the 3rd screen shot?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have a way to take photos of each screen you have, so we can see exactly what you're seeing?

des1o

des1o

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Sorry for the delay, I was doing computer work. I tried the repair and it didn't work. So I formatted my harddrive. I just now have gotten the internet to run on my laptop.

Thanks for all your help LindaGail! You were a great help. Thanks again!

-JR

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I was beginning to get worried about you :blink: I'm glad you got the computer working again :whistling: