Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Would It Be A Mistake To Place A Wi Fi Usb Stick Inside My Pc Instead

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Hey everybody!!!

I just recently purchased a Nintendo Wii a couple of months ago. The Nintendo Wii console actually has internet channels such as weather, news, Opera Browser, etc.

In order to use the internet on the Nintendo Wii console you must either have a router or a Nintendo Wii Wi-Fi usb stick which plugs into a pc usb port. The reason you need one of the two is because the Nintendo Wii only accepts wireless internet signal.

Well I don't have a router and don't need one so I bought a $30 Nintendo Wi-Fi usb stick for wireless internet connection. To use the net on your Nintendo Wii console your Wi-Fi usb stick must be in a usb port, your pc must be on with an active internet connection, and your Nintendo Wii console must be on as well. [ie: if your pc is off you cannot go on the internet using your Nintendo Wii console]

Posted Image

The Wi-Fi usb stick came with a one foot usb extension cord which you can attach if you want added length or do not want the Usb Stick right at the back of your pc or right at the front either sticking out like a soar thumb.

Well I have an idea... I don't like the usb stick hanging outside of my pc. I actually hate it... It gets on my nerves, and is also very hard to take off at the angle it's at. Well I have 6 port usb pci card in my pc and only one of the ports is internal. I was wondering if it would be alright to put the Wi-Fi usb stick on the 1 foot usb extension cord it came with, and connect that to my internal usb pci card port. That way I can internalize the usb stick without having to ever deal with it really. I have a fully see through acrylic pc case by the way so I don't see why the signal wouldn't travel straight through. [Look at my sig/avatar for my pc case].

The reason I ask if this is alright is because I do not want to ruin any internal pc components. I have no idea if the Wi-Fi usb stick emits some sort of bad signal that can damage my hard drives, power suppy, processor, motherboard, or ram. I have no idea if it would harm anything. But if it did why would it connect directly outside of my pc case which is about the same distance? Makes no sense to me... I dunno maybe some of you know more. Personally I would just connect the Wi Fi stick to the internal usb port on my usb pci card and sit the stick down on the pc case floor. It would be close to components though of course.

What do you all think.

More info of the Wi Fi Stick can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia....i_USB_Connector

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I don't c any problem. The internal parts of the computer hard drives pci card ... won't b effected. You just need 2 c that the signal u get\quality of the wii fi Is still the same.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Yes but what kind of assurance do I have that it won't ruin any components inside my pc such as my very valuable hard drives with life long work and data on them? I mean let's take cordless phones for example, they say you should never have them around or use them close to a pc because of the 2.4ghz [or more] signal/frequency they emit. I'm not too sure if that is a good example. But in any case if it is a good example how in the world would I ever know the strength of the signal coming from the wi-fi usb stick and if it would ruin any pc components inside my case?

Here's something else I just thought about while writing this... The wi-fi stick can only send internet signal to my gaming console at a maximum distance of 30 feet [10 meters]. That to me doesn't sound like a very strong signal when compared to a 2.4ghz cordless house phone which you can have in the kitchen and walk all the way to the front porch or sidewalk and use. LOL. Well in any case this is giving me a better idea at the signal strength. Although as I said before they always say you should keep things such as cordless phones, microwaves, etc far from a pc. So I'm still wondering if this would apply to the placing the wi-fi stick on the internal usb port of my usb pci card.

All in all it would just be a lot more convenient for me. Not to mention it would look cool inside my pc case since my case if fully see through at every inch and every angle. [ie: my case is not a metal case with a window, it's fully see through everywhere!]

Oh yah did I forget to mention that I have a rare $500 sound card in my pc as well? It's a very hard to find sound card... So yah I wouldn't like to ruin that either... LOL!!!

Edited by superstar, 30 May 2007 - 01:49 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
For starters the case that you have does not block the RF signal at all so if you would tape the wi-fi on top of the case with the extension cable or stick it to the top of the case inside won't change the effect of the signal that reaches the different parts.

I mean let's take cordless phones for example, they say you should never have them around or use them close to a pc because of the 2.4ghz [or more] signal/frequency they emit.

The freq that comes out can cause distortion of magnetic fields so that if you bring you're cell phone close to a magnetic field like a monitor or speakers it will disturb the signal an you will c \ hear the disorder. For that reason don't keep magnets close to you're speakers or monitor.