Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my RAM causes my pc to shut down

• Please log in to reply

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I tried upgrading from 1GB to 2GB of RAM yesterday. After about ten minutes of using my pc, it shut down and tried to restart. The RAM is identical to the 1GB that I already have (just a different brand) i.e. DDR2 553Mhz 240-pin. Once my computer had been restarted it shut down again after about twenty minutes. The fact that it starts up and then shuts down after different amounts of time and doesn't just not start up at all is confusing me because the RAM itself is obviously compatible (I've also checked system information and for the time that the computer stays on, it says that it is using 2GB of physical RAM).

Any ideas what's wrong and how it can be fixed?

Advertisements

totallyspecced

totallyspecced

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sounds like a bad stick of ram. Have you run a memory test to check the ram for possible errors?

Edited by totallyspecced, 30 May 2007 - 05:46 AM.

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
No. How do i do this?

totallyspecced

totallyspecced

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
http://www.memtest86.com/