Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cmd.exe - No Disk

• Please log in to reply

normskii

normskii

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I had a malware problem on my pc recently, which I think i've largely killed off.

I am still getting this error message though. I tracked the previous message, titled Windows No Disk "Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 7cc31d6c 7cc31d6c 7cc31d6c 7cc31d6c", down to some windows updates (925902, 930178, 931784) which I uninstalled.

Now the error message reads cmd.exe - No Disk. When you click to try again it looks in the floppy drive.

The message doesn't appear in safe mode, so I'm guessing its a startup program which has had its values changed by the malware and is now looking for info from the floppy drive.

Can anyone help in trying to rectify this?

Many Thanks

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sounds like something wants to access the floppy.
Some basics. Check the boot sequence in bios. Make sure the floppy is not first.
Also check the startup tab in MSCONFIG. Look for anything odd. Do not uncheck all of them at once. Try 1 at a time.
If you need help, please feel free to ask.

normskii

normskii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
how do I get into config?

I went into run and typed msconfig, but it says it can't find it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
"I had a malware problem on my pc recently, which I think i've largely killed off."

Sounds like you need to go to the malware forum to double check that everything is clear - it may be possible that some infection is still lurking on your system and stopping essential services such as msconfig. After getting the all clear there, you should then return here and post if you are still experiencing the same problem.

Cheers

normskii

normskii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I posted there first, but noone has replied yet.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Didn't catch that you have 2000. There is no msconfig in 2000. You can load the msconfig from XP and use that from the proper folder.
It does sound like you may still have malware tho.
Have you checked the bios for boot sequence?

normskii

normskii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah I checked the BIOS settings.

It was

1 - CDROM
2 - IDE
3 - Floppy

Is there any way to switch off startup programs in 2000 then?