Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

flash the memory

• Please log in to reply

gabbagabbahey

gabbagabbahey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i was told i needed to remove devices listed under USB, but when i start my Cp
my F8 will not work.
i then was told i needed to Flash the Memory.

what the??? :tazz:

Edited by gabbagabbahey, 09 April 2005 - 11:53 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would feel better if I knew

A) who told you?
b) why?

You don't need to remove devices in safemode. And you don't flash memory, though you may flash your bios (which means to update it)

gabbagabbahey

gabbagabbahey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i was on a online chat with an HP tech.

I cant reload the HP program for my printer. I scaned for a driver from there web site, when the download is about to finnish a window pops telling the driver has been detected, and stops the download.
A online tech then told me to restart my CP press the F8 key, on the next screen press option 3 then remove USB.
my F8 key will not work, so i was told to Flash the Memory, they did
say something about Bios.
I hope this helps!

thank you for replying

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I have no idea what option 3 may be in their setup scheme, but I can tell you that if you have a multimedia keyboard that you may have to lock the function keys while booting.

There should be a key to the right of f12, maybe one or two keys down. With your computer on. Tab it and notice if a light flashes somewhere along the top of keyboard, probably with a F near it.

Now, this is the tricky part....If you turn off your computer, turn it on, then hit the Function lock key, the computer will turn it back off one second later, so you have to hit it again, then hit f8.

You will get the menu they are referring to.

No idea what Option 3 means.

Think I would need more info to suggest anything more