Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU FAN error, but do I continue to use F2 every time I get on?

• Please log in to reply

doodlebug1

doodlebug1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I unplugged my computer this morning because of an approaching lightening storm. When it passed, and when I plugged everything back in, I started to get a CPU FAN FAILED error message, plus HAVE SYSTEM SERVICED IMMEDIATELY. And of course, it shuts off immediately.

I can bypass this by doing F2 (F11, F10 and F1 did nothing)....but does bypassing mean that a problem still exists and a problem is going to arise?? Do I actually need to get the computer serviced?? The two fans that can be seen from the back are working fine. I can see NO fan on the motherboard.

Thanks for any help. I'm a computer second grader--i.e. better than some, but definitely not as knowledgeable as most. .

Edited by doodlebug1, 30 May 2007 - 01:05 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This error is critical and is being flagged up for a reason.

All processors made in the last eigth years or so require active cooling - the use of a fan. Failure to use one will mean the processor cooks itself and stops working. You will have a fan somewhere inside the computer (usually right-below the power supply) and the system is telling you that this fan is not working.

You have to find out why its not working and remedy it. Usually its clogged up with dust and just needs blowing out. Maybe the bearings have gone or the blades are caught on another bit of cable. You cannot leave this problem as it is if you want to hang on to that system.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
thanks for posting doodlebug. :help: how about just a good old fashion cleaning. couple cans of air, feather duster.making sure all is snug. take a look at that heatsink. like the message said a little service :whistling: if the problem persists come on back :blink:

doodlebug1

doodlebug1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
But both fans that I can see in the back ARE working. When I remove the side cover, I can see no other fan. I was told there might be one by my motherboard, but nothing is there! I also did blow all dust and such out. What could be going on??

This error is critical and is being flagged up for a reason.

All processors made in the last eigth years or so require active cooling - the use of a fan. Failure to use one will mean the processor cooks itself and stops working. You will have a fan somewhere inside the computer (usually right-below the power supply) and the system is telling you that this fan is not working.

You have to find out why its not working and remedy it. Usually its clogged up with dust and just needs blowing out. Maybe the bearings have gone or the blades are caught on another bit of cable. You cannot leave this problem as it is if you want to hang on to that system.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
So there is no fan sitting on top of the processor at all then? If that is the case, then you need to get one and if you dont know/cant put it on yourself, have someone else do it.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
there isnt a fan sitting on top of the heatsink?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what make and model is the pc if it wasn't custom built (might be some form of ducted case fan such as the ones found in some of the old dell machines)

doodlebug1

doodlebug1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

what make and model is the pc if it wasn't custom built (might be some form of ducted case fan such as the ones found in some of the old dell machines)

It's a HP Pavilion 505n. It's a duct with a fan that uses passive cooling. Again, both fans that I can see in the back do turn well when I turn the computer on (and before it shouts that the CPU fan isn't working and shuts off). So perhaps the motherboard is falsely reporting that the fan isn't working? And why would it do that??

Edited by doodlebug1, 30 May 2007 - 02:12 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something that hasn't been mentioned is the possibility that this may be caused by a BIOS error, which can occur when the computer is shut down abruptly. You might try going to BIOS setup and setting to the default settings, and enable reset configuration data. If worse comes to worse, unplug the unit, remove the CMOS battery, push the power button for a few seconds to discharge the power, and then put things back together. I recently had a machine with similar problems and had to do that.

doodlebug1

doodlebug1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
UPDATE. Took it in, and all it was is the fan needed OIL!!! We also discovered that I needed a new little battery--I thought he said something about the C drive and mouse--not sure. But he changed that.

BUT...now I've got a second problem. lol. I keep getting a Security Certificate pop-up box, saying it needs to be verified. It also said the date was April of 2002. :whistling: So if any can tell me how to fix this NEW problem, I'd appreciate it more than you'll know. :blink: I suspect it's due to changing the battery, eh??

Something that hasn't been mentioned is the possibility that this may be caused by a BIOS error, which can occur when the computer is shut down abruptly. You might try going to BIOS setup and setting to the default settings, and enable reset configuration data. If worse comes to worse, unplug the unit, remove the CMOS battery, push the power button for a few seconds to discharge the power, and then put things back together. I recently had a machine with similar problems and had to do that.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The date problem is probably related to the date in the bios/ cmos not being set right. As for the security warning, If he reinstalled the OS, you need to know if he used the original CD that came with the computer. The system is trying to verify thru activation it is a legitimate copy. You need to check with the person who fixed it what they did.
The date problem is simple by going into bios. The security could be ok, but just needs to be activated.