Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Ctrl + V game

• Please log in to reply

snowchick7669

snowchick7669

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
If in Windows XP you typically maximize a too-small Internet Explorer window, every subsequent time you launch Internet Explorer, its windows may remain too small. By default, Internet Explorer is supposed to open at the same size it was at the last time it was closed; however, sometimes the default setting gets out of whack, and you need to manually reset it. Here’s how:

1. Launch Internet Explorer.

2. Click one of the window corners and drag it out to completely fill your screen. Do not use the Maximize button.

3. Press [Alt] to view the menu bar (if you are using Internet Explorer 7).

4. Press and hold down either [Ctrl] or [Shift] while selecting Exit from the File menu. Do not use the Close button.

Now when you launch Internet Explorer, it should open in a full window. If it opens in the same small window, repeat the steps but hold down the opposite key in step 4, that is either [Ctrl] or [Shift].

Note: This tip applies to both Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional. As this is a function of Windows XP, it will work on all versions of IE.

Hey look at that haha. Tutorial?

Advertisements

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
Removing a key

What the heck, I don't remember that...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139008

Oooh part for a new build link... :)

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
http://www.giveawayo...rescue-kit-8-5/

Hmm.. I've been looking at useful giveaways...

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
Right-click and save

Instructions for downloading an inf file :)

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
http://speedtest.10-fast-fingers.com/

I copied that I while ago...

snowchick7669

snowchick7669

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
ill be homeless

Haha

Will I? :)

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
dessert

Mmm... yummy.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Q6273A

Chasing up information on a wireless printer and touchscreen notebook setup for a major client quote. :)

snowchick7669

snowchick7669

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
NZ2807

Hey its my flight number

Advertisements

Icedrake

Icedrake

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Congratulations, your computer is now clean of malware! Now, we will need to make a new restore point. To do that, you go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Under the section "Restore my computer to an earlier time", there should be an option to create a restore point. Click on that and follow the instructions it gives. After you have made a new restore point, clear out your old ones by going to Disk Cleanup (Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup). Choose the drive Windows is installed on, and once Disk Cleanup opens, click the tab called "More Options". Then in the "System Restore" section, click the Clean Up button, and then click Yes. Now all of your old restore points will be deleted except for the most recent one.

I’ve also got a few suggestions below on how to keep your computer safe from future infections.

• Keep Windows updated regularly, so that you have all of the latest security updates. To make sure your computer is updated, you should turn on Automatic Updates.

Classic View Control Panel: To turn on Automatic Updates, go to your Control Panel (Start>Control Panel), and double click on the Automatic Updates icon, and when it opens, click on "Automatic", which should be in Bold lettering.

Category View Control Panel: To turn on Automatic Updates, go to your Control Panel (Start>Control Panel), and click on the Security Center category. Then Windows Security Center should open, and under the "Manage security settings for:" section, click on Automatic Updates. When Automatic Updates opens, click on "Automatic", which should be in Bold lettering.

• Replace your default Windows HOSTS file with the MVPS Hosts file, or with the hpHosts file. Basically, what these hosts files do is that they block you from connecting to well known ad sites or other bad sites.

• Use SpywareBlaster. This program protects you from thousands of bad sites, and also protects you against bad ActiveX.

• Remember to always keep your programs updated, so that malware can’t exploit security flaws. A great, free, update checker that I would recommend is FileHippo.com's Update Checker. This program checks programs installed on your computer to check if you have the latest version of that program installed.

• Use ERUNT to back up your registry. This makes sure that if you ever have a problem with your registry, from malware or other problems, you can use this program to quickly and easily restore your registry to the date you made the registry backup from.

Backup all of your important files. This makes sure that if you ever have a problem which you can't fix, and you have to reinstall your system, you will have all of your important files safe and sound. Have a look at this link, which tells you options for home computer data backup.

• Use an alternate browser to Internet Explorer. There are plenty of other browsers out there which are much safer and faster than Internet Explorer. Some alternatives to Internet Explorer that I would recommend are: Opera, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome.

• Always remember to use an Antivirus program. Some excellent free ones that I would recommend are Avast and AntiVir Personal.

Link to Avast - Click here!

Link to AntiVir Personal - Click here!

Note: Only use one antivirus at a time on your computer. Having multiple antiviruses can cause conflicts and problems on your computer.

• Always remember to use a Firewall program. Below are link to some free and excellent firewall programs.

Outpost Firewall Free - www.free.agnitum.com

Online Armor Personal - www.tallemu.com/free-firewall-protection-software.html

Comodo Firewall - www.personalfirewall.comodo.com

Finally, have a look at this topic, titled "How did I get infected in the first place?"

Thank you for performing all of the steps I gave, and enjoy a clean computer! :)

---------------------------------------------------

:) Copied that a while ago for a PL, lol!

Edited by Icedrake, 10 September 2009 - 06:44 PM.

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
Newyeardanceparty.scr

Oooh, doing research!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.microsoft...03/default.mspx

Trying to find info on SBS 2000

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
there are 10 types of people

Hmmm....

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Le chant du ruisseau

Oh yeah. Writing about Chopin's preludes last night. That's the French nickname for No. 3 :)

Perplexus, I know. Those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with ternary :)

Edited by Chopin, 12 September 2009 - 09:44 AM.