Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stupid windows update

• Please log in to reply

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I have a win2000 computer and just updated a bunch from windows update. Now I can't use my cd-rom and the green bar in windows update just keeps running like forever...Does anyone know which update is it that caused my cd-rom to be malfunctioning?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Does you cdrom show in my computer?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hello pancak welcome to gtg. let me be the first to admit i havent a clue as to which update you downloaded thats caused this :whistling: but all's not lost... turn off you computer restart it an press f8. if we can get to the safe mode option there are some things we can try. first one i would like for you to try, is the "last known configuration that worked option". on your screen i believe thats option 5 try that and let us know good luck

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Does you cdrom show in my computer?

That's the thing...It's gone from My Computer. However, the cd-rom can still pops in/out and I can hear some noise coming from it trying to read a cd. It doesn't work even if I pop in an auto-start cd. Well, I tried the "last know configuration that worked option," but because I already have this computer on and off a couple of times, it just doesn't do any good. So any idea how to revive my cd-rom?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go ahead and download CDgone
unzip it and then run the CDgone file. Restart your computer your Cdrom should appear back into My Computer. You may have to reinstall your cdburner/Itunes.

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
wow it works!! my cdrom is back! Thanks a alot! =)