Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random cpu speed drop

• Please log in to reply

epics

epics

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Well after checking my pc to see if a malware problem was slowing down my PC randomly, i was sent here. What happens is randomly (i believe only while gaming ) the pc will slow down and the frames per second aswell as PC speed drop big time. the only way to fix this is to restart the computer and it will be fine for a while. once in a while i will go a day without a problem but then like today, its not even 6 oclock yet and ive had to restart 4 times >.<! any ideas on what the problem is?

im running on HP media center pc, windows xp i think aaand, i have an Intel VIIV

HP Media center pc M7590n , any other information needed just ask :whistling: (sorry if im not writing this the best way, im not sure what to ask or say >.<)

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Have you fully updated your windows XP? There is a known issue with XP right now that can cause what you described....

And welcome to GTG

Edited by bobmad, 30 May 2007 - 03:40 PM.

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
oh... nope >< i have updates waiting, my pc was jus working fine for aw hile so i just let it go T_T

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
alright i installed the updates, guess ill see if it did anything. all it was was a microsoft genuine malware thing

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
KB927891

is the one you need.

it MAY not fix this....but I'm betting it'll help

if the update I suggested doesn't fix this issue, you'll need to do this and post a HJT log in the proper forum.

Edited by bobmad, 30 May 2007 - 07:29 PM.

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
aaah its happening right now as i write this >< was on a mmo and the entire pc is sluggish now. im going to post a HJ log

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
the malware staff member said to come back here im clear, ><. i haven o idea why it does this! but if i restart its all ok.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Did you ever get KB927891 ?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go Ahead and download Speedfan

And report back temperatures with High CPU usage. (start a Anti virus scan or something.)

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
testing out speed fan now and yes i did update :whistling:

Advertisements

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
alrighty, what it says on this little box are:

cpu:0
Ambient: 34x
Remote: 71c
HD0: 35c
hd1: 46c
temp1: 40c

fan1:3927 rpm
fan2: 2283 rpm

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
and now i tested it at 3:00 pm today after using the pc a bit.

the 2 HD's had the on fire signal on them.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Sounds like it's time to pop the case (all cords disconnected from case of course) and do some dusting....

Give it a good cleaning using canned air if you can get some (remember to hold your fans still when you hit them with air, don't want them spinning from the air)... and follow recommendations on can (don't use for too long at one time it will not be as effective and could damage your machine)

Once you've done that play some more and check your speed fan.

How much space do you have between your hard drives? Would it be possible to separate them some if they are packed in there against each other?

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
i was thinking it was dusty >< for some reason my place is like that, i have to mop everyday (twice usually im a clean freak) and dust. so im going to take this downstairs and clean her out! ill report back with the HD spaces :whistling:

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
alrighty cleaned it all up, was really dusty. and the video card felt like it was gonna catch fire! after running it a while i did a new pc speed test.

remote: on fire at 57c
Hd1: on fire at 53c