Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

messed up mom's computer

• Please log in to reply

knobbs123

knobbs123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was trying to install Norton 360 to my mom's Sony Vaio notebook and when I did it wouldn't fully install. The window said it couldn't fully install until I changed something in the registery. I thought I did everything right, but I guess I didn't or else I wouldn't be writing ya'll. Anyway, when it said to restart it wouldn't let me and when I finally got the computer off and then back on Windows won't boot. Not even in safe mode. I tried doing th F8 thing and nothing will start from there either.

Do I need to reinstall Windows and if so I don't have any of the original disks for this thing. I feel really bad that I messed up her computer and could really use any advice out there.

Thank you

Teale

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hello knobs welcome to gtg. sorry about your moms pc taking a dive :whistling: i see you dont have the vaio set up disks but by chance do you have a windows xp cd? thats what its gonna take im afraid. tell me when you hit the power button does the sony vaio logo come on an then the screen goes blank? or does it just restart in sort of a loop?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What exactly did you change in the registry and do you remember the error message or message # so i can reference it in Symantec's KB?

IF you cant boot into Safe Mode, I would attempt a repair install if you need any of the data on the machine. If not, just do a quick format and reinstall Windows on a fresh partition.

knobbs123

knobbs123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
First, thanks for the quick response. I don't think she has any cd's or disks to speak of. When I turn on the computer the Sony logo comes up it acts like it is going to start windows and when it comes to the point where you would normally put in password to enter, the icon is not there anymore and the only thing that you see is Window XP home. It won't go any further.

I don't remember the error message or # to reference symatec's, but will try to find out from my mother if she still has my notes.

It sounds like I need to reinstall windows. If I don't have any of her cd's or disks anymore, could I just buy a new and start all over again?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
sure you can buy a new windows xp cd. i was thinking maybe your moms stuff could be salvaged (only for keeping the family peace) :whistling: is why i asked about the sony cd's