Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Xp Home Repair woes (unsigned driver errors halt reinstall)

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello all, hope you are having a nice night.

I am trying to repair a PC for a friend, I thought it would be a simple thing but I have never run into this before:

Reasons for trying a repair:
Windows won't start normally, gets to curser and halts (black background, need hard reboot)
Windows won't start into safemode either, same thing curser comes up and windows halts (black background, need hard reboot)
Going to another restore point doesn't help

So I tried to do a Windows XP repair / in place upgrade (reinstall)
But the system halts on some Fatal errors right at the very beginning of the setup after the system files are copied over and the system reboots for the first them and starts the actual installation with a GUI.

The errors are unsigned drivers... ie:

Error setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\ogl32.dll] is not signed properly by Microsoft. This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.
Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file.
(Was thinking of using the SFC utility sfc.ex to check the dlls.... but I cannot since I can't get into windows in any form)

Full unsigned .dll list contained in the setup err.log are:

Followed by some warnings:
Warning setup was unable to start service tabsrv because of the following error: OpenService(tabsrv) returned error 1060(424)

Error Installation failed E:\I386\asms Error message: Incorrect function

Fatal Error: One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. Incorrect function

Error: installation failed E:\I386\asms Error message: Incorrect function

And keeps repeating these 2 errors over about 4 times each. (Incorrect function and one of the components, tabsrv only appears once)

I am not sure what I should do, perhaps replace the offending dlls using the recovery console with dll's off of the disk?

The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1123WM, with Windows XP Home on it. I am using a Windows XP Home OEM Disk, the comptuer also has the Compaq OEM Recovery disk on a hidden partition to use, but I am afraid it will just wipe out the entire hard drive via Format, I want to retain the user data and settings.

Thanks for your help, have a nice night.

Edited by G226, 30 May 2007 - 10:13 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I coulden't find anything so I had to get creative and take a risk. To fix this I used the compaq oem setup files within their hidden partition to repair the installation... I guess there is some kind of driver difference between the compaq OEM install and my OEM Home install disk. *shrug*