Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless networking in bizarro world

• Please log in to reply

Grav

Grav

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a linksys wireless router and receiver. The router is brand new, the receiver is several years old. My issue is that my personal PC, that of which is using the wireless network and using the old receiver, gets spotty connection to the network. I tried downloading the newest drivers, however this did nothing to solve the problem. I am no further than 20 feet from the wireless router, and even when the network is running, the connection is rarely 'excellent,' and tends to be 'very good.'

Now on to the weird part. When the network disconnects, and subsequently I click "repair" and its fine for another 10 minutes or so... the icon in the system tray continues to say the network is not connected, even though I am clearly using the network because I am able to use the internet (of which is provided soley through the wireless network). If I click "view wireless networks," the button in the bottom right will in fact display "disconnect" dispite that even the selected network displays "not connected" (to the left of the 'preferred network gold star') Obviously something is not syncing correctly.

How might I go about getting this all squared away and working correctly? Does this sound like a firmware, software, or faulty hardware issue? Is there any more information I can provide to clarify the problem?

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hi gray welcome to gtg,. in your network connections what speed is being reported in the status section? have you ran a bandwidth speed test http://www.myspeed.com/pe/index.html this is a nice free speed testing program. try seperating the router from the reciever farther. how close are the router an reciever to power strips, are you close to 220v such as dryer, oven, fuse box? there are alot of good programs out there for tweaking your registry settings tcp optimizer is a very good program for that so.. to answer your question if its hardware software issues im thinking just a little tweaking might be the call. :whistling: