Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Problems

• Please log in to reply

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Well lately I've been having problems with my computer. It is randomly restarting and locking up for no reason sometimes, it could be idle and just restart. Before when I had the locking up problem all I did to fix it was change a few settings in my BIOs. Also my internet is acting weird. I cleaned out my entire system using Nod32, Ad Aware, and spybot. I also checked my network and all my other computers work fine and have no problems what so ever with the internet.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi FuM...

The first things I'd look at are the power supply and heat. They can both cause these symptoms.

Download, install, and run SpeedFan on the machine. Watch the temperatures and voltages. If you can post screenshots of the SpeedFan window (Readings tab), that is often very helpful. Let us know what the highest temperature you see is.

wannabe1

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Posted Image

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's running pretty hot. Hot enough to be causing you problems. You have a couple of low voltage readings, as well, but these may be related to the heat.

Time for some spring cleaning...get yourself a can or two of compressed air from an office supply store and give the insides of the machine a good cleaning. Pay special attention to the CPU cooler and the Power Supply. When using compressed air near a fan, keep the fans from spinning when hit with the air with your fingertip or some other non-conductive tool. Spinning a fan too fast can damage bearings.

Also check all the fans to make sure they are spinning up as they should with no excessive noise.

Let us know if this helps...