Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i have been getting a blue screen lately that says something about physical memory being dumped, and a device driver, but all my drivers are updated and i have really good parts. i would give you a screenshot, but i couldnt paste the pic into anything, because i had to restart my computer.
what can i do?
thanks, bryan
also, when i restarted my pc, i got this message from a microsoft site:
Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Edited by hoopsman, 30 May 2007 - 09:21 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi hoopsman...

Did this start after updating a driver or installing new hardware?

Try starting in Safe Mode and see if it will run better that way. If that helps, we should be able to narrow it down.

Start the machine and start tapping the F8 key as soon as you see the lights on the keyboard flash. It should open an Advanced Startup Options screen. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and press Enter. Log onto the Administrator account. If you have not set an Admin password, leave the field blank.

Let us know how it runs.

wannabe1

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i will let you know as soon as i can, i just have to do some homework, so i will let you know probably tommrow.
thank you, and i will get back to you ASAP
thanks again
bryan

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If you are able to get into safe mode lets go ahead and take a look at those minidumps.

Blue screen error messages are one of the most misunderstood error messages out there in regards to windows.According to Microsoft, only 5-20% of these errors are actually caused by the OS. Only 10% are hardware related. The other 70% are the result of faulty drivers or software incompatibility. Based on those numbers, less than 15% of blue screen errors can be permanently resolved with an OS reinstall.

So we can correctly solve this issue we need to get the minidumps.

To get the Minidumps do the following

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > use the "add reply" option upload that zip file here as an attachment.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i tried to start up in safe mode, but it wouldnt let me log on to adminstrator, so i just started in normal mode and got the mindump files like you asked, and they are the last 6 or so from the minidump group.

Attached Files

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
to answer wannabe1 question, i tried safe mode, but it didnt work, and the problem started occuring after i installed need for speed most wanted i think, so i dont see why it would be a driver or hardware problem. i would really like to fix this and please respond as soon as you can
thank you for the help
bryan

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I had a look at the blue screen error messages

They come up with A blue screen of 0xA: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Probably Caused by sbbotdi.sys
That is comes up as Speedbit OR DAP.

To resolve this problem you Either want to reinstall Speedbit/DAP or uninstall it.