Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired Networking

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I want to use just a plain either net cable to connect 2 comptuers so I can transfer files from one to the other. I have access to a router, but I dont want to unplug the router and move it then move it back. It is possiable to just use the cable? If so please explain how do set it up?

Both comptuers are useing XP home... one desk top one laptop both with SP 2 I belive :whistling:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Hi LiaoGoren
you must have a cross over ethernet cable.
Then I would set a static Ip on the computer not connected to the router
Cheers
Peterm

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I think you completly misread the question.

I have no router hooked up. Lets try the question, but forget ANYTHING about a router. How do I network 2 computers when only thing I have to hook them together is a regular RJ45 Fast Eithernet Cable?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you don't...if you want to do a direct connection between two computers via ethernet..you have to use a crossover cable...you could alternately get a usb file transfer cable and transfer the files that way (which by the way...is MUCH easier then trying to get the crossover network working smoothly on the first try)

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
So my best bet is to unplug the router I have and take it with me to transfer the files?

Where can I get one of those USB cables... now that sounds like a plug and play device for transfering files?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Where can I get one of those USB cables... now that sounds like a plug and play device for transfering files?

just about any computer store...or any online store that sells computer stuff...look for "usb file transfer cable"...this assumes that you're just wanting to do a one time (or occasional) file transfer...not create a file sharing network

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
It is actually, I use my personal laptop to assit myself in getting friends and family online. I normally have to unplug my router and bring it with me, but its so bulky and annoying to get it and all the cables. So I was just looking for a way to get my computer to talk to and share files with any other computer the simplest way possiable. That USB cable seems like it might just be that way. Thanks for all your help!