Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Undo Formatted CD

• Please log in to reply

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
First off, let me apologize if this is the wrong forum. This was probably the closest to the problem I have.

A friend of mine has a bunch of different personal files on a CD. She brought this CD to work and it would not work on her compuater. She kept getting a message telling her the CD needed to be "formatted." Not knowing what this meant, she went through with the formatting and as you probably guessed it - all her files are now gone. I was talking to our IT guy at work and he says that formatting doesn't delete the files from your CD, it will remain written on the actual disk. He said he has heard of some programs you can download to unformat a formatted CD.

I was just wondering if anyone hear knew of some good (free) programs I could download to recover the files from my friend's formatted CD. This has all kinds of important and irreplaceable information, including resumes and business documents. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes it is possible, but only if it is a re-writable cd. I suppose this also is the only way it could lose everything in the first place, so I'm just doubling back on myself and rambling! :whistling:

Nonetheless, a quick search reveals:

http://www.diskinter...d-dvd-recovery/

It seems to be a pay-for program with a free trial period, so I'm guessing you only need to use it once! There may also be another program that some staff here at G2G recommend, maybe just wait a bit and see if any respond.

Cheers.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
As ruthandtroy said it has to be a rewritable for the disc to be formatted in the 1st place. If not then the data is still there
If it is a rewriteable then try this
Data recovery
Cheers
peterm