Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Explorer.exe crash

• Please log in to reply

Snakeking

Snakeking

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, a while back explorer.exe seemed to have crashed, which makes it so my desktop is blank with the exception of my wallpaper. I also can't open folders or anything of that sort either. I have 3 profiles, and all of them share the same problem. I'm actually quite reliant on my computer, so when I was unable to fix it I just worked around it using the task manager since all of my applications still work. But now I need it fixed, since I cant open zipped folders which I need to. I'm working with a windows XP professional. Any help would be appreciated. I'm just worried that since I waited for over a month my computer may be permanently damaged.

And I've tried going to task manager and running explorer.exe. All that happens everything shows for less than a second and then disappears again.

Advertisements

Jr0x

Jr0x

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,652 posts
Hi Snakeking and Welcome to G2G.

Run task manager and click on new task and type "iexplorer.exe". This should bring up internet explorer.

Please run an on-line virus scan at Kaspersky OnLine Scan or if that doesnt work, you can use TrendMicro or BitDefender.

+++++

If you are unable to run the activeX Antivirus Scanners, lets try this Java based solution from Trend Micro.

See if online scan finds anything for you.

Edited by Jr0x, 31 May 2007 - 09:43 AM.

Snakeking

Snakeking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
they didnt find anything :whistling: any other ideas?

Snakeking

Snakeking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I checked my cmd by typing

dir \explorer.exe /a h /s > look.txt {press enter}

start look.txt {press enter}

and notepad says this

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 54A1-AC1C

Directory of C:\WINDOWS

08/12/2004 06:19 AM 1,032,192 explorer.exe
1 File(s) 1,032,192 bytes

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

08/12/2004 06:19 AM 1,032,192 explorer.exe
1 File(s) 1,032,192 bytes

Don't know much about computers but maybe this helps

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hello snakeking are you comfortable mucking around in your registry ?i'll be honest with you. ive been looking at all sorts of tech sites over this and theres not much on this issue. can you recall if this issue happended after a microsoft update? if you want to try this registry fix we can, i cannot say for sure if it will work but then your left with the repair installation ok? :whistling:

Snakeking

Snakeking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah im completely ok with it. Just gimme directions and ill follow em

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok give me a few minutes for some reason these kids of mine want food :blink: go figure i'll :whistling: post it upon my return

Snakeking

Snakeking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I actually have to go out tonight, so if you would just tell me what to do ill follow your directions and post a response in the morning. thanks bud! :whistling:

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok... start a new task from your task manager. in the open box type regedit. locate and then click the following sub key..HKEY_LOCAL_\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION\POLICIES\EXPLORER. right click the USEDESKTOPINICACHE DWORD value in the right pane and then click modify. in the value data box type 0 and then click ok. quit the editor restart your computer.

Snakeking

Snakeking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
there is no EXPLORER under Policies...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you press the ctrl + alt + delete keys together to get task manager, then click file, click new task, type type sfc /scannow then press enter, after the scan, which should take 20 minutes or so, reboot