Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

lan problem while trying to run sfc orion pirates

• Please log in to reply

Chasjl1

Chasjl1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all, I've recently had to upgrade my laptop do to a crashing of the mob on my old laptop. The new laptop is running windows vista. My friends and i get together and run games like orion pirates thru a router. When i tried to do that with the new laptop I could see the games but i could not join. So I'm wondering if I need something (ie a patch/adapter) to be able to connect to other pc's not running windows vista.

The setup we use is 3-4 pc's hooked to a stand alone router. The router is not connected to the internet, as we are just looking at doing lan type play. They are all running windows xp/2000, and i'm now running vista. When they host the game i can see it but it won't let me join to play. When i host it they can not see the game at all. We even tried doing a straight link between my laptop and one of the other ones, and received the exact same problem.

When i look at the connection, it says low or no connectivity, but shows active with 100mps. and since i can actually see the games when they host them, it does look like the computers are communicating with each other. I thought maybe my firewall was causing a problem, so since we were on just the lan router with no internet, I turned off the firewall. Once again achieving the same results.

Is there a patch or adapter i need to install to get windows vista to fully communicate with pc's running lower versions of windows? Or is there a setting on the network that i need to change?

Note: i did actually have the wireless internet turned on, so there was some level of connectivity to the internet.

Thanks for any help/ideas you can provide.
JLC

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
try updating the drivers for the nic. Other users in the Vista forums have had similiar issues due to outdated or faulty drivers.