Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer/Motherboard problems

• Please log in to reply

joesquire

joesquire

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I've had to change my motherboard because my previous died, because of me.

I put the motherboard in, only connected power supply, cpu (and fan) and graphics card, and when i first turned it on, there was beeps, longish beeps that just went on for a while like "beep.....beep....beep" and didnt stop.

Then i turned it off again, and connected everything.

Then all that happened was the CPU fan jsut span a little bit, not even one revolution, and then nothing, but the power light came on and stayed on, but nothing at all happened.

Not sure what this is, coudl anyone help??

thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Long repeated beeps is usually memory problems. When you no longer get any beeps at all it can be motherboard or power supply problem. Once i did have a continuous beep because of a keyboard problem, but i can't remember what kind of MB that was.

SRX660

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hello
I tried to test the RAM but nothing happened.
When I broke my board :blink: before nothing at all happened, not even the power light came on. But this time, the CPU fan slightly spins and the power light comes on. That makes me think that the board is OK. but then, ive tried another power supply...that couldnt break a board even if it wanted to, and it still didnt work.
Its really annoying because its my 3rd board now, well 2nd bought board. The previous didnt work, and this one has gone funny too, i don't get it :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you test the new board with a new power supply?

Are you sure that the cpu sits properly in place? Did you apply thermal paste to the top of the cpu and the bottom of the heatsik?

Double check the connections from the psu to the board. Disconnect and reconnect.

Make sure that there are no electric shorts between the motherboard and the box.

If you did everything above and still no good disconnect everything from the computer. Leave only the cpu, one module of memory and the video card (use the one onboard video connection, if there is one). If still no good and no beep sound heard then it's either the cpu or the motherboard.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hi thanks for you reply.
I cant be bothered to be honest. Its too much trouble than its worth.
I can get a refund on the board i found out, and i will sell my components, i will get them tested somehow firts obviously.
Thanks for your help though :whistling:
Ill just buy a new computer hehe

Thanks people !!!!