Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

lock a file on a USB key?

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
hello,

i am trying to figure out how to lock a file on a usb key so it can't be deleted. i have a usb key and have some documents on it... and i want to make it so the files are undeletable. i understand that if someone had the know how, they could format the usb key and that is fine... but i want to make it so that people can't Select -> Delete the files. does anyone know a good program to help me achieve this by chance? i've tried google and a few different shareware programs and none have done the trick so far... they seem to lock it but then i plug the key into another PC and can delete the files. i am not worried about cost, so it doesnt have to be a free program... just something effective and easy to use!

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what's the purpose? like why are you wanting the files to not be removed?

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
i have photos from a trip on there and i want to send it to family to see them... but i dont want anyone to accidently delete anything - which i wouldnt put past them!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
put them on a cd? can't delete from a cd

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
What if it' a rewritable CD. I was actually wondering this too because I have a bunch of programs on my flash drive that I use to fix my friends comps and I dont want someone to reformat it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

What if it' a rewritable CD

to answer that part.....if it's a rewritable cd...then sure...but if you don't want someone to remove files...then why would you send them a rewritable cd?

I was actually wondering this too because I have a bunch of programs on my flash drive that I use to fix my friends comps and I dont want someone to reformat it.

well....if this is y our flash drive that YOU use...then THEY shouldn't be monkeying with it to delete stuff anyway....BUT...you could get a "secure" flash drive (like THIS ONE ) that has a fingerprint reader...which would keep anyone but you from opening the drive...and therefore keeping anyone but you from deleting anything on the drive...this obviously wouldn't work for sending someone some pictures...but it's alot cheaper to send a cd than to buy a bunch of flash drives

also...i'm of the school that says if i send you something...and you delete it...that's your fault not mine

Sierra54

Sierra54

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Another alternative would be to zip all of the pictures into a file and send it to someeone using rapidshare.com or megaupload.com. I have done this a few times and is fairly quick & easy so long as you know the max. file size that you're permitted to send.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Sierra54 also had a great idea. I reccomend mediafire for uploading stuff though. It has been a lot more reliable and quicker for me than rapidshare and megaupload.

http://www.mediafire.com/

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
:whistling: LOL to the fingerprint reader usb drive!!! And yes I really Laughed Loudly!!! (and got yelled at :blink: )