Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I calculate bandwidth?

• Please log in to reply

cozmicrain

cozmicrain

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
:tazz:

Hi all, I'm relatively new here. So I suppose this should serve as an introduction too. Long story short, board housewife took up web graphics as a hobbie dabbled in web pages playing with front page. Knows very little about scripting but manages to put together some nice personal sites.

It was pressed upon me by some friends to start a community site, One with a bulitin board sort of like this one. I was leaning toward SMF because its free, and has a ton of more options then PHPbb.

Well, at least options I understand how to configure. Here's my delima.

I paid for a hosting plan with so called unlimted disk space and bandwidth. Once I got the boards active after one day the site was suspended. Too much bandwidth usuage apparently. Now that was odd because Im not sure if I used 11mgs or 11gigs It was 11 something though!

What I need basically is enough disk space to upload custom content for games, and enough bandwidth that will allow say 50-250 people a day to surf the site and post and download game files.

My question is how do I calculate actual data transfer, and about how much bandwidth should I expect to use? I have NO IDEA. Canaca.com offers some ungodly space 10gb HD space and 300gb bandwidth for a very small amount of money. but they don't have SMF as an option for bulitin boards. Which means I would have to install it, but they don't have SSI access either. They do have a ton of other options. MySql ect and bottom line is I wouldn't know how to configure it even if it is available. Besides do I really need 300 gbs bandwidth?
or for that matter 10gb of hard drive space when most other host only offer around 2-5 gig or 2000 mgs ect.

Exactally how much do I need?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Rain

Edit also could someone familiar with web hosting check out the silver plan there and give me an idea of why it sounds too good to be true? Surely there are limitations to it right? http://www.canaca.com/virtual.html

Edited by cozmicrain, 09 April 2005 - 12:29 PM.

Advertisements

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Cozmicrain:
Welcome to Geeks2Go!!!

Good job there!! Not bad for a starter putting up a website. I read your mail - and what i reckon is that you'd be needing a lot of webspace and plenty bandwith/throughput if you are getting that many hits and plan to have a big site running.

I would recommend that yu visit http://www.powweb.com - they have 2 GB(not mb!!!) of webspace and an enormous amount of through put - 5GB per day(not mb per month1!!!!!) which is a very very lavish amount!!! It is one of the best offers on the web and i suggest you take a look - and besides all this at at a reasonable price of 7.75$/month!!!

Good luck with the site and please do keep us posted about what happens

Cheers

PS nothing wrong with the hosting site that you sent - the storage space is 10 gb, but the throughput is only 200 gb - that is quite less given the fact that you want to run a message board and all that stuff

cheers once again

Edited by sunny441, 09 April 2005 - 02:55 PM.

cozmicrain

cozmicrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sunny
Thanks for responding. Im just reading this today I ended up purchasing a mid level plan from epowerservers.com mm at least I think I got the name right. Basically they have toll free phone support and I was able to talk to a guy. Who seemed very nice by the way.

They even offered to help me install any 3rd party type message boards that I wanted to use.

The link you posted is a great deal! Just wished I had seen it sooner to check it out.

I did ask him how much bandwidth I would need and he assured me I would never max out the 100gb thing for the month. I hope he is right.

One of my favorite game boards is modthesims2.com however most the times it takes forever for just one forum page to load. Not sure why, the site owner pays a lot of money for dedicated servers etc.

Now get this.. because this is something new to me. I have heard of sites slowing down or crashing when exceeding band width, but....
When I further pressed USBHosting about why my site had been suspended (it took him 3 days to get back to me) He tells me... that my site was using too much ram. Thats right RAM. How can a site use too much ram??

I have had fewer pages uploaded to yahoo geocites when I first started dabbling, and god only knows the graphics and such in those were just full blown way out of porportion.
I barely had a fraction of text files up for reading with the only graphics being the nav buttons and I promise you those are very compact, and he tells me I was using too much ram. Has anyone here ever heard of such a thing?

Needless to say the site is still in the process of being built. and I have a ton of stuff Im going to be adding to it but I wanted something up there for the time being. So far its a whopping 13mgs wow. lol.

Now mind you I am by no means a professional. Nor do I have any knowledge what so ever in dreamweaver or flash. I built this site with Front page and Xara. How intensive can it be?
If anyone is interested in looking at it and telling me what could be causing it to be using RAM on servers I would appreciate it.

www.cozmicrain.net

I'm slow but I can learn when it's explained. Thanks for the response.

Peace

rain

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
rain,

anything that works for you!!!! your site after all.. yeah 100 bg seems like a good amount - no problem.

I have never heard of a site using too much RAM... ;) Unless you are exceeding the level of throughput and causing problems... don't worry too much about it anyway!!

Site looks cool - wish you good luck and hope things turn out well,

Cheers