Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ie 7 and firefox struggle to load?

• Please log in to reply

matt pearce

matt pearce

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
After a month without the internet thanks to swapping ISP's i am at last back on line. Everything was working OK up until yesterday, i can connect to the internet but IE 7 and Firefox 2 seem to struggle to open sometimes. The hour glass appears as if they are trying to load but after 20 seconds it dissapears and then nothing happens.

I then select the option to restart my PC and i get the following message:-
Posted Image

If i don't select "end now" the box dissapears and IE and Firefox load perfectly.

I also get the following message on startup...not sure if this is related?

Posted Image

is this a spyware/malware issue or should i post in another section of the forum???

Thanks

Matt

Advertisements

matt pearce

matt pearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
i have added the same post in the spywar/malware forum by mistake aswell...admin please delete which ever topic is in the wrong section - sorry!!!

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hi matt and welcome to gtg. lets address the bonjour service issue first. probably best to let your firewall keep blocking that.it started out as a apple networking service that has spilled over to include windows systems as a means to deploy advertisments you might want to look for a process called mDNSRResponder.exe look in your services to see if thats listed. it also comes wraped in a program called gizmo check your program files as well.if found restart in safe mode and remove it. rename that responder.exe file to anything.dll and delete the file. this could very well solve your i/e an firefox problems as well. but which broswer is set to be your default?

matt pearce

matt pearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks Krmooo - can you explain a bit more when you say look in your services? I use Firefox as my default..but my wife uses ie7

Edited by matt pearce, 31 May 2007 - 03:37 PM.

matt pearce

matt pearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
mDNSResponder.exe found in c:/program files/bonjour...do i need to go into safe mode to rename then delete this???

matt pearce

matt pearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
OK i located the .exe file you mentioned, went into safemode and renamed and deleted it. I no longer have the bonjour service on startup anymore. But the loading a page in IE7 or firefox takes ages..if i try to restart i get the event box:-
Posted Image

If i leave it it goes away and the internet loads as normal.

Not sure if this is relevant or not i tried to set i a static IP address the enable portforwading for a torrent app but gave up and reset my router to its f default status, can't be 100% sure if the problem started after i tried this or not?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
if you would do this for me please. next time you try to go online open your adminstrative folder in the control panel and open the event viewer lets see if theres a log as to whats going on

matt pearce

matt pearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
is there anything in particular i need to look for?