Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

US Robotics Router Time-Outs

• Please log in to reply

ZephyrusWing

ZephyrusWing

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

I've got a problem here that I've been experiencing since I've purchased a US Robotics 8004 Model Router. Now, I installed it pretty easily and got it up and running very quickly.

The internet works just fine, but the problem is, apparently, after a certain amount of time has passed when the internet is not being used, the router will just seem to quit. What happens is that I'll turn on the computer, attempt to use the internet, and find out that I cannot, usually in the morning when the computer has been off overnight. I found out after working at it awhile that the router has an Administrator Time-out feature that will automatically disable connection after an allotted time of inactivity. The router configuration page says that I can simply put in "0" to disable the feature, which I did with the assumption that it would fix my problem.

But it hasn't. There is a Remaining Lease Time on the status page that continues to count down from 10 minutes and restarts. The internet does not time-out when the timer reaches zero because I am still using it, but I don't know if this could be affecting it when the internet is not in use. Also, there is a Renew IP Forever feature that is enabled by default. It's descriptions says that: "this feature enable this product renew IP address automatically when the lease time is being expired even the system is in idle state. It also causes this product to automatically connect to ISP after system is restarted or connection is dropped."

Whenever I cannot access the internet, I simply un-plug the router and plug it right back in, immediately regaining my access. I know the problem doesn't have anything to do with the modem because the internet works just fine without the router and its status on the modem is always on, plust the fact that I regain connection by turning the router off and then on.

This problem is very annoying, to say the least. Please help me, and if you require more information about the nature of the problem, please ask. Thank you so much.

Edited by ZephyrusWing, 31 May 2007 - 02:56 PM.

Advertisements

rrrr

rrrr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you resolved your problem? I am having the same problem with my US R modem, although it is a different model number.

rrrr