Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

microsoft update problem

• Please log in to reply

totallyspecced

totallyspecced

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Got a friend that's having an update problem with windows update service. He says that when he goes into his control panel to change the automatic update settings on his computer, everything is greyed out and he isn't able to change the settings at all.

I think that the user is running administrative privileges because he was able to re-install his windows installer, but about that I have no idea what could be blocking him from changing his automatic update settings. He's running Windows XP with Service Pack 2

Any ideas?

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hi totallyspecced..welcome to gtg. lets see if 1 or both of these sub keys are missing. click start,run and type regedit .HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTControlSet\Services\wuauserv. then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTControlSet\Enum\Root\Legacy_WUAUSERV im going to assume that at least 1 subkey is missing and continue. click start,run and type C:\windows on the tools menu click folder options, then view.in the advanced settings list click show hidden files and folders under hidden files and folders.apply and ok your way out. double click the inf folder right click au and then click install. click browse locate the C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. click ok to copy the files close it out restart your computer that should do it.. :whistling:

totallyspecced

totallyspecced

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks a ton :whistling:

Edited by totallyspecced, 01 June 2007 - 07:46 AM.