Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Reinstall/driver/file issues

• Please log in to reply

Philbert

Philbert

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, i have an Emachines Desktop with an Athlon XP 2600+ processor, 512MB RAM, Maxtor 180GB HD, and i had Win2k installed until recently. However, around 3 days ago, i went to bootup Win2k and i got an error saying NTLDR could not be found, and so i decided to install windows XP Professional. In my past experience, when I had done a win2k install over an existing install, all files were left intact in their original structure. However, when i finally finished installing windows, All my files were no longer in their original tree format, and they are all now in a folder called found.000. this is very confusing, because the drive was formatted in NTFS, and for some reason, the WINNT folder from the previous Win2k install is still intact. Is there any way to get my files back the way they were? The next problem i have is that I lost the driver CD for my 802.11b/g PCI card, and it is not a card made by a name-brand manufacturer. I bought it off ebay for like 10 dollars, but it works wonderfully for me. The problem is that i know that the driver and the software are still on the computer, in either the WINNT folder and the found.000 folder, but those 2 folders contain almost 40,000 files. I don't even know where to begin on this one. so if anyone could help me out with these, i would appreciate it everybody! thank you in advance!

Advertisements