Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Links won't open in XP/IE6

• Please log in to reply

TexBex

TexBex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
;) :tazz: ;)
Hello. I am a web designer (using Dreamweaver) and I'm working with another designer creating an interactive CD Rom that contains both external links, and links to web pages contained on the CD.

MYSTERY: We have discovered an amazingly mysterious thing that may not be news to some of you.

We cannot open links to web pages on the CD. External links to Net work fine. No problem. But trying to link to one of the many "local" web pages is fruitless. Dead as a door nail.
This is EXTREMELY frustrating to me when I try to test out my website(previewing via IE) on my local C Drive. Many (not all) of the links won't work.

THAT SAID, folks using anything else (Win2000, Firefox, Netscape, etc) have no trouble whatsoever.

In searching newsgroups I've discovered this to be a common complaint. There is apparently some problem when you're viewing via IE6 and XP.

Can anyone shed more light on this problem? Is Microsoft aware of it. I can imagine web designers going nuts because they won't be able to test out their links.

Thanks in advance,
Eddyoy37@yahoo.com

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, they aware of it, they did it on purpose with SP2 (still works on Sp1).

You can do somethings so YOU can work around it by altering security settings, but for users (if say you are going to distribute the cd to end users), that is not likely an option.

You can package your webpages as hta files, too.

After you brought it up (hadn't thhought of it for a while), I did a quick search and found another workaround---you can also give it "Mark of the Web"

Anyway, here's a nice synopsis page that had that workaround

http://www.phdcc.com/xpsp2.htm