Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Company of Heros has gone DX10!

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Finally we have a DX10 game to play. I just want to mention that Nvidia and ATI has released new drivers which went used on the review below. Performance shouldn't be as great as a hit as they mention. But still expect a hit none the less.

http://www.gamealmig...ime_to_Upgrade/

http://www.companyof...me.com/updates/

Enjoy everyone!

James

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Now Im definitely buying that game. It looks so sick and now in DX10. RTS's are definitely getting much more popular. Also cant wait for SC2. BOth are going to be sick.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What about Crysis?
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Are you kidding. THAT'S MY #1 GAME ON MY TO GET LIST. That game looks so good. I cant wait.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling:
Better have a quad core and everything ready at the go then.
Can't wait quads are going to be $266 after July 22nd!
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Only problem im having is which mobo to choose. I've been deciding between MSI and Gigabyte. Thats another time and another topic. I just hope that the mobos that support DDR3 also support DDR2. Otherwise easy choice. Also I hope ATI's cards start performing better. God so much to look forward to: Theres Crysis, Starcraft 2, CoHin DX10, and others. And also new quad cores, mobos and other stuff. I cant wait to build my PC. Gaming is going to be even sicker.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
First off, the new proccessors arn't a big deal. If you can overclock you have already past it's potential. It's only advantage is that it'll be 45nm meaning you'll be able to push it a little further. Second off don't expect to much from ATI till the revisions come out, again you'll be waiting till mid augest to september.

There will be DDR2 and DDR3 motherboards but they'll probably be more expensive, remember DDR3 cannot go into a DDR2 slot or vise vera meaning there'll be 6 slots most likely. The latencies are really lose on DDR3 nullifying the advantage they have, as well as they are going to be VERY expensive for the next year, don't expect it to hit mainstream till after a year, similar to what happened with DDR2.

But I'm in the same boat as you for motherboards waiting on the arrival of more P35 chipsets, then going to purchase. Should begin to see more trickle in within the week. I want to build on the 13th so I'm not very patient any more and probably just going to jump for whatever is currently out.

James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Ill probably get one of the Gigabyte mobos that supports DDR3 so I atleast can upgrade. I found one that had everything I wanted. One thing Im worried about is I was wathcing the TigerTV and the guy said that you cant mount CPU coolers that require the backplates and stuff. Kind of like the Zalman one Im getting. Ill have to clear that up otherwise Im 100% positive on what Im getting. This is the one I want Gigabyte GA-P35T-DS4, i just hope I can mount the Zalman CPU cooler backplate and mount work.

Edited by Drumbum667, 02 June 2007 - 01:36 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I think it'd depand on what aftermarket cooler you get. But that heatsink deffinatly looks like it could get in the way. Try looking for a coolers thats taller rather then wider. I'm thinking about getting the Thermaltec 120-ultra which I think you'd be safe with here. Note there is no DDR3 memory on the market yet and I don't see any coming till late June or later.
On another note, don't you find those tigerTV people annoying?
James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most of the P35s have two DDR3 slots as well as DDR2, i would reccomend the MSI one personally i find MSI probably the most reliable with some of the best feature sets around(plus they look the best if you have a window as well). Quad cores arent worth bothering getting for a while nothing really needs even dual core and it gets more difficult to write multi threaded software the more processing threads thats why everyhing is still coded for one first then you see what you can use a second or third core for after 4 is just useless for most people.

You guys in the US must get everything late, we have P35 mobos and DDR3 memory out already, the 65nm ATIs shouldn't be all that long away they aren't revisions by the way they are different lower performance cards revisions are even further away the 2900 is 80nm because ATI say they couldn't achieve the same clock speeds on 65nm, performance should steadily improve with driver updates and DX10 performance should be much better than DX9 performance as well.The Power in the ATI cards is way beyond that of any other card on the market its just not being utilised BUT bare in mind ATI cards also perform physics operations and will later perform AI operations. DDR3 is ridiculously expensive though, more than most CPUs and any mobo and about a £100 more than a 2900 crazy money, but DDR3 is very expensive to make very very expensive they made the switch from DDR to DDR2 because it was cheaper not performing better DDR3 is back to pure performance but it costs a ruddy fortune.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes ATI is releasing the budget end at the end of June/beginning of July. But there are supposidly going to be 65nm revisions of the HD 2900XT another version soon to come out will sport 1GB of DDR4 which is confusing considering that is whats rumoured to have delayed the XTX.

Processors won't even utilize DDR3 performance currently, the cost just makes it dumb to buy, not to mention the latencies are so loose.

I'm still looking around, can't figure out which I should get the 680i chipset or the P35....since the 680i should technically still support Penryn. But then maybe a revision will be needed because of voltage regulators like we have seen in the past from Pentium D to Core2duo.

James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Thanks for clearing that up warriorscot. Yea it came down to the MSI one too. Forgot to mention it. Still debating. Also on the topic of Quad-Cores, if its going to be cheap why not get it now instead of spending more and getting it later And James, yes that TigerTV guy is so annoying. He made himself look like a total idiot.

Edited by Drumbum667, 02 June 2007 - 10:35 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That tiger direct guy isn't specific enough, he says and all that stuff to ofter, well many people won't know what stuff he is talking about and forces you to look it all up. The reason for those videos are to answer questions no create them. Not to mention trys to hard to keep you interested making him look like a total fool.

In July it may become economical to buy a quad, but right now it's not. Depends how steep the cuts are. But still we won't be seeing anything that will fully utilize all four cores for a while, [bleep] we have yet to see many programs fully utilize 2 full cores to 100% never mind a quad.

We only have gigabyte and Asus P35 chipset motherboards in Canada right now, time for me to google these MSI boards. Hope something good is out Wednesday because I'm not waiting any longer then that date.

James

Edited by james_8970, 03 June 2007 - 12:03 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Sorry for getting this topic back on topic :whistling:, but do you know whether the patch will still let you choose to use DX9? I want the patch because it also has a few gameplay changes, but I don't have a DX10 card...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should run fine on DX9.

The P35 will out perform the 680i its a really good new chipset, i always found intel chipsets kind of weak compared to the competition but p35 looks good the new memory controller looks like it can actually compete with AMDs. DDR3 is a massive bandwidth increase it has high latencies but it can shift allot more data, and higher latencies are just one of the costs of faster memory and they arent all that high like DDR2 was when it first appeared, the nice thing about memory is that no matter how new or fancy it is its allways going to be used to its full potential its not like multi core CPUs where you have to wait for software memory just works and faster memory makes for faster performance. And DDR3 can run at ridiculous speeds at higher temps. The P35 should also have an extra generation of compatibility so it should work for whatever comes after these new chips the nforce6 most likely wont, and ddr3 compatibility is going to be nice to have once prices drop.

All the 2900 family is going to be 80nm from what ive read of the ATI press release with the 65nm reserved for the mid range cards, the 1Gb DDR4 version is going to be 80nm as well they should appear without much fanfare as soon as ATI has enough stock, we should also hear about the new DX10 laptop chips soon.

Its stupid to be impatient its not going anywhere and its not like there are allot of good new games out right now most of the good new ones aren't coming till the Autumn anyway, you pay a premium when things are new a couple of months later there is usually a better cheaper version or at least they are on a later production run with more bugs worked out.

Edited by warriorscot, 03 June 2007 - 11:23 AM.